Negotiable Instruments: Exhaustive Coverage by Adv Roma Bhagat. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

ashok kumar baranwal (electrical executive engineer stores)     02 January 2013

Income tax

I am an Asstt. Engineer in a state Govt. owned Thermal Power Station.  In AY 2011-12, with the help of a friend I e-filed  my income tax return. I have only salary  income of Rs.7,90,387.00. but while filing my return, a mistake happened and a more zero was placed in my Income making it 10times more Rs.7903870.00. it revealed only after submitting the same. I sent a letter explaining this mistake with a copy of Form-16(issued by my employer) & a filled in revised return form in physical to CPC, Bangalore  by general post.  I did not heard there-after. suddenly a month ago in Dec'2012 I got a notice from Income tax officer-Bokaro to appear before them and deposit Rs.24Lac as Income tax  which is long due against my PAN no. I contacted a local IT Advocate, now he demands approx Rs.20,000/-+ to get it resolved. Otherwise I may fall in problem & have to deposit the due. It may be noted all my sources/deposits/PF/ can not fetch the such a huge amount. I am in a big problem & see with hope for any suggestion what I do now.



 7 Replies

vinayak (as)     03 January 2013

if you want to further information please send me your income tax return details and your income tax excel file and xml file which is efiled to income tax.

my email id is :

bala (proprietor)     05 January 2013

Hello Mr. Ashok,

Please do not panic.

As you have stated that you have filed the revised return, please check that you have flled the revised return within the threshold time limit i.e. revised return should be at any time before the expiry of one year from the end of the relevant assessment year or before the completion of the assessment, whichever is earlier. Only if this is satisfied your revised return will take effect.  I presume you have filed in time.

Now coming to your query.,

a. You can send a reply to the demand notice on your own to the concerned ITO. Ensure that it is sent by Registered Post ACK Due if not produced in person. If produced in person, kindly get an acknowledgement to your reply letter against the demand notice for future references.

b.  In your reply to demand notice (probably u/s 143(1), you can state that a revised return was filed along with the acknowledgement details plus send a copy of Form 16A.

c. This should resolve your issue.

Hope this helps.



Bala FCA., LL.B




1 Like

bala (proprietor)     05 January 2013

Hello Mr. Ashok,

P.S. : Did you file the revised return in electronic mode or paper form. Coz, as per the I.Tax Rules, a revised return should be filed in electronic mode if original return was filed in electronic mode..

Please check at your end.


Bala FCA. LL.B.

R RAJAGOPALAN (ADVOCATE)     05 January 2013

The proper & smoother course was to file a valid revised return by e- filing itself.

The time for that having expired, the alternative now is  to request your local Assessing Officer, to rectify the Intimation in the light of the revised return you have filed & reduce the demand.

If nothing positive turns out within 15 days,  you may may a give a similar petition to your Chief Commissioner of Income tax. After another 30 days you may give a similar petition to your Income Tax Ombudsman, who has enough powers to grant relief in genuine cases.

CA. Vipul Jadhav (Partner)     18 January 2013

Send a copy of Income Tax Return, PAN Card Copy.

We will help you through. You can contact us at 9819384785 (CA Vipul Jadhav)

Neha Sharma (Student)     03 February 2013

There is no need for you to panic


Yours is a very genuine case and you need not worry if you've paid all your taxes on time...


you can personally go and visit the tax officer, tell him about your problem and he will get this resolved... this is not a cumbersome process...

anup neshti (marine engineer)     05 February 2013

dear sir,

i am a marine engineer and have been working for a norwegian company since past 6 years. my company has all foreing flagged vessels and has never come to indian coasts during my service. the trade has always been abroad.

i have always been wanting to know the exact rules for income tax and returns filing procedure for a profession like me. i would really appreciate your guidance.

thank you in advance.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register