LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ravi (a)     30 August 2017

Huge settlement amount

my wife is asking 1 Crore thru her lawyer for full and final settlement. her lawyer is also saying that he will influence APP/magistrate to get myslef and my parents convicted in 498a case. literally, he did the same for few other cases and my lawyer is also vouching that. we are scared now what to do next.

Learning

13 Replies

(Guest)

do not give into illegal demands. Seek 2nd legal opinon

Adv Radhika Mehta (Advocate)     31 August 2017

As advised hereinabove, do not give in to such demands. Even if you are convicted in the lower court on account of the opponent lawyer's contacts, you can always challenge the same in the higher courts.  It is, however, wrong on part of your lawyer to side with the opponent lawyer and advise you to give in.  Please seek a second legal opinion. 

1 Like

Ravi (a)     31 August 2017

Thank you ji. My lawyer is not telling me to bow before them but he says it is true the opposite lawyer is a senior adv in the small town and he influenced judge in one or two cases for conviction. I also made an offline enquiry and few Lawyers alsi mentioned the same.

Radhikaji, does it amount to defamation if we get acquiittal in sessions after conviction in loser court? Please help me understand.

Adv Radhika Mehta (Advocate)     31 August 2017

No it does not amount to defamation.  You will obviously have challenged it on account of unsatisfactory reasoning given by the Judge.  If the High Court is not convinced by the said reasoning then they will set it aside and acquit you. 

Thank you. today we informed the opposite lawyer/wife to do whatever they want. in no case, we will bow before their nasty demand. i told them clearly if had 1/10th of the demand also, i wouldnt have married this poor girl (aka wife) 

more than wife, her lawyer is taking everything to personal and screwing up things.

(Guest)

ur advocate is guilty of misconduct for which u can file an application to Bar Council of state of which he is a member. even if you are convicted by the lower court, you can always appeal before the High court. do not worry he cannot hurt u in any way. to contrary the HC order should operate to ur benefit as the facts are in ur favour

ok. we have our side of 498a arguments scheduled for next week for final hearing. judgment maybe by mid sept.

will see where this goes.

sai narayana   31 August 2017

First check your advocate's credibility and capability. If not good, change him immediately. If you find a good lawyer, you won the battle almost all in lower court itself. Even if we fail in lower court also, we can win in high court or supreme court provided we have cross-examined the opponent and her witnesses and also lead our witnesses properly and strongly during trial.

Ravi (a)     14 September 2017

myself and my parents were convicted with an order for RI of 3 + 1 years along with 50000 INR each. we are completely devasted by the opposite lawyer. he did it whatever he said that he can influence judge/pp/police etc. etc.

i dont know what to do now...

sai narayana   14 September 2017

Apply for certified copy immediately and search & approach a good High Court criminal lawyer in between with complete details. If required, avail services of more than one lawyer.

Rishi kumar   14 September 2017

Very sorry and really shocking to read about it.  How did the court convict you if you have not done anything wrong? Everyone says498a is not  is not serious now a days and 90% ends in acquittal.

Adv Radhika Mehta (Advocate)     15 September 2017

Do not lose hope.  As suggested hereinabove, obtain certified copies and immediately challenge the order. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register