Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kiran (Developer)     16 October 2010

How to get an Indian passport based on marriage?

I am a 28 years old Nepali citizen. I came to India for higher studies in 1998 and have been staying in India since then. I married an Indian lady from Assam in April 2004 in an arranged ceremony. We have not registered the marriage yet but we will be registering it this month in Assam. Right now, I am working in a local IT company in Pune and stay with my wife.

Can I get an Indian passport based on my marriage and stay in India? Will I have to apply for Indian citizenship first? If yes, what is the process and what documents are required? How much time will this process take? I have to get an Indian passport as soon as possible. Please guide me through.

Learning

3 Replies

Samip (Lawyer)     16 October 2010

Once you are married in India and have adopted India as your country, you can apply for getting the Indian Citizenship certificate through the district collector . AFter you recieive your certificate, you can apply for the passport .

adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     16 October 2010

You will have comply the conditions to obtain the passport.  REfer the passport application.

Kiran (Developer)     16 October 2010

Thank you for the reply. I read that one needs to stay in India for 7 years post marriage. Is that true? If yes, I will be completing 7 years in April 2011. Do I have to wait till then?

Can you please also tell me what documents do I need for applying for Indian citizenship?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register