Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Piyush Tiwari   16 October 2021

How to find out about the owner of a plot

Dear Experts, 

I am willing to purchase a plot but I am not able to find the details of the owner of the plot. Is there any legal way through which I can find out about the owner after which I want to make a suitable offer to him.

I already tried to find out from Municipal corporation and housing society, they said they are not clear whether name or contact number of owners can be divulged. I mean no harm, just the plot is nearby my sister's house and I want to stay close to her house as possible.

Learning

2 Replies

Anusha Singh   17 October 2021

As per your query it is clear that you need information regarding the owner of the plot which you intend to purchase.

Since the municipal corporation is not in a position to provide you the details of the owner the only way left with you is to file an RTI (Right To Information) and seek information regarding the owner of the plot which you intend to purchase.

The first step to file an RTI with a department of the central government would be to identify from which department the information has to be obtained. For instance, anything related to income tax should go to Income Tax department or defense related query should go to Ministry of Defense.

The next step would be writing your RTI application in the prescribed format. Also, this format isn’t mandatory and you can submit your application on a plain paper as well. The language of the application can be Hindi or English. Similarly, the government can also respond in either language.

Make sure that the questions you ask relate to only one subject; the application has a chance of rejection if you ask more than one questions in a single RTI Application. For instance, if you are enquiring about your passports, then ask questions which are only related to the passports.

As you might know, there is some amount charged for each RTI you file. Thus, to file an application to a central government department, attach application fee of Rs. 10/- in the form of Indian Postal Order.

Once all the above mentioned steps are completed, send your RTI application via speed post/registered post and wait for the government’s response. If you don’t get a reply within 30 days of sending the application, you can approach the central information commission.

Unless and until you do not have the information about the owner of the plot you cannot buy the plot.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Anusha Singh

Kevin Moses Paul   21 October 2021

As per your concern I've laid down a step by step procedure through which one can find out the essential details such as ownership details, property registration and etc.

Follow the procedure given below, in order to find out the owner of the plot you're interested in:-
◾Visit the official website of Delhi Property Registration (or put your State name in place of Delhi).

◾You will see two option (e-search and e-valuation),

◾Click on the e-search option,

◾After clicking on that you will receive option on the top of the screen
- Search by name,

- Search by property address,

- Complete search,

- Specific search,

- DDA Deed search,

- Integrated search,

- Find SR office, and

- Reports.
From all these options available, you can check the details of the property, ownership status, property registration etc.

[NOTE:- For other states you need to follow the same procedure, you have to put your state name in place of Delhi.]

Hope It Helps!

Regards,
Kevin M. Paul

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register