LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More


how to change name in passport after marriage

I got married last year and my parents suggested my wife to change her name (incuding maiden and original) now and how to do it? Is there any way to apply online for this because I live in USA, and I donot know the rules and forms of procedure. Please suggest me.


 11 Replies



1. Application form (Form-I) duly filled-in with six photographs

(Note: Please do not staple the photos)

2. Attach present passport, along with two photocopies

3. Furnish two copies of proof of residence

4. Beyond one year Rs. 1000/- [fresh passport with 10 years validity will be issued.

5. Any 3 identity documents to establish your new and old identity (out of the 14 listed under the new guidelines)
(In cases where the 3 identity documents can be submitted under the new guidelines, along with Annexure-I,
passports will be issued on post-police verification basis. In other cases, a police verification will be necessary.)

In addition, depending on the category below applicable, there are additional requirements, as indicated against each:


i) Furnish original newspaper cuttings giving change of name published in two newspapers – one in English
and the other in a local language.

ii) Furnish an affidavit as per format given in Annexure ‘E’ of the instruction attached to passport application.)


(Change of surname, while retaining the given name)

i) Two copies of Marriage Certificate issued by the Registrar of Marriages


ii) A notarised joint affidavit from the husband and wife.

Note: If unable to produce a joint affidavit, furnish an affidavit with wedding photograph, wedding invitation card
and a letter giving reasons for not being able to give joint affidavit. Marriage certificate issued by Church and Qazi’s Certificate (with a certified translation) in case of Muslims can also be given as proof of marriage. In all cases, a
copy of the husband's passport should be submitted, and the original passport produced for verification at
the counter.


Raman ( )     10 October 2009

You can get it done from the consulate of India in the USA:


  1. Washington DC
  2. New York
  3. Chicago
  4. Houston

If you still can not find any information, please come back to us!

A V Vishal (Advocate)     10 October 2009


I.                   Following marriage, remarriage or divorce: 
(a)        A woman applying for change of name/surname in existing passport due to marriage must furnish: 
      (i)      Photocopy of the Husband’s passport, if any, and
(ii)               An attested copy of marriage certificate issued by Registrar of Marriage OR an affidavit from the husband and wife along with a joint photograph, (Specimen at Annexure D). 
(b)        Divorcees applying for change of name OR for deletion of spouse’s name in existing passport must furnish 
   (i)   Certified copy of Divorce decree.
(ii)               Deed poll/sworn affidavit (ANNEXURE ‘E’) 
(c)        Re-married applicants applying for change of name/spouse’s name must furnish: 
      (i)     Divorce deed/death certificate as the case may be in respect of first spouse, and 
(ii)            Document as at (a) above relating to second marriage. 
            II.      In other circumstances for change of name, the applicant (both male and female) should furnish:  
               (i) Deed poll/sworn affidavit (ANNEXURE ‘E’)

  (ii) Paper cuttings of two leading daily newspapers in original (one daily newspaper should be of the area of applicant’s permanent and present address or nearby area).  

A V Vishal (Advocate)     10 October 2009


(To be executed on non-judicial stamp paper)
We    1………………………………………………………………………………
                                    (maiden name of wife)
                        (name of husband)       
       solemnly declare and affirm as under:
1.That we are married under ……………………….Marriage Act/Rights/Customs and are living together as married couple since……………………………………………
                                    (date of marriage)
2..That ……………………………….. would henceforth be known as …………………
    (maiden name of wife)                                                    (name of wife after marriage)
      by virtue of our marriage.
3.That our joint photograph is affixed below.
                                                                                    Signature & address of Deponents
Note:       1.  This affidavit may be sworn before a Magistrate/Notary.
              2. The joint photograph of the couple is to be pasted on the bottom left hand side of the affidavit paper and attested by the Magistrate/Notary with his/her signature and rubber stamps (half on the photograph and half on the affidavit)
               3.   Declaration 2 above to be ignored by applicants who seek endorsement of name of spouse in respect of reissue of a previously issued passport.     


Please visit indian embassy. They will guide you.What is the procedure involved to change maiden name etc.

Adinath@Avinash Patil (advocate)     14 October 2009

Approach indian embassy, They will give you procedure for your query.

Rakesh (ac)     16 March 2010

Dear Member, I changed my name for passport by executing deed poll affidavit and publishing in two reputed newspapers in 2007 april (Mumbai). But did not put the same in gazette as i was not aware of the same. I would like to put the same now. What are the problems i may face. Please advice me

Mohsin (Proprietor)     20 March 2013

change of name ads in mumbai can be published for 200/- in 2 newspapers for passports and various purposes.

log on to for more details

Manohar (ERP consultant)     06 September 2013

Dear Sir,

Kindly Suggest me how to resolve this issue in my Passport.

Name Change for My Wife in passport- please find  the below Issue I am facing.

My Name is Manohar and My Wifes Original Name is Swapna.

During marriage my parents have changed the name of my wife from Swapna to Laya Priya.

I have applied for Passport after my marriage during which i have mentioned my wifes name as Laya Priya.

And I got the Passport with my wife name added as laya priya.

Now I trying to go abroad and facing some issue with the name of my wife.

My wife doesnt have any legal documents with the name Laya Priya, all her certificates and Id's everything is in name Swapna. So if she applies for passport she can get only in the name of Swapna.

because of which i want to change my wifes name From Laya priya to Swapna in my passport.

Now I came to know I have done a biggest mistake.

Kindly suggest me the exact process for getting this change done in my passport.


I would be very much Thankful to you


Mohsin (Proprietor)     07 September 2013

Just Make a deedpoll affidavit (cost around 300/-) and get your name changed from  Laya priya to Swapna which is the earlier old name. publish it in 2 newspapers one English and one local (cost 250/-) and then apply for passport

Prasanna M Kashikar (CRM Administrator)     17 September 2013


Myself Prasanna M Kashikar from Thane, I got married in January and received the Marriage Certificate couple of weeks back. 

My wife now wants to change her name on passport. however, her passport was issued from Mumbai Passport Office, & now since after marriage she has moved to Thane, Can she apply for a name change in Thane Passport Office or she has to apply in Mumbai Passport office as her passport was issued there.


Kind Regards,

Prasanna M Kashikar

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More

Related Threads

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query