LAW Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Prithvishwar Gayen   24 July 2015

How to change father's name of child in school

Around two years back I got married. I was unmarried before that but it was my wife's second marriage and she had a 10 year old son from her first marriage. My wife had got divorced from her first husband 8 years back and she was given custody of the child. Her ex-husband is not paying any alimony or any other kind of money for the child. I have adopted my wife's son as my son. Do I need to do this adoption legally in some way?

After our marriage, we had asked our son's school to change his biological father's name and replace it with mine. But even after two years the name has still not been changed and we are told to put an ad in the newspaper. What should be the content of the ad and what is the proceedure to change the father's name in the school?

I would be really grateful if someone could throw some light on this.

 2 Replies

prabhakar advocate (advocate)     24 July 2015

Simply putting the ad. in the newspaper and give a copy to the school authorities, and if that sovles your problem, that is well and good.  You can visit any newspaper's advertisement division and they have similar advertisements and they will provide a copy to you and guide you to draft your ad.  Otherwise, you scan daily english newspaper and you will find it.  But that is not a legal procedure.  You said that you adopted that child.  For adopting biological father's consent is required and an adoption dded would be executed and registered.  On the basis of that, you can ask the school authorities to change the name in school records.  If earlier biological father's consent was not taken and he is at present not traceable, you have to approach the civil court for declaration of you as the adopted father and on the basis of that decree, you can ask the school for change of the records.  But, as the school is innocuously showing a simple way, follow it.

Prithvishwar Gayen   25 July 2015

Thank you so much Mr. Prabhakar, for your advice. I will put the ad in the newspaper and proceed as you said.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query