LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Saai Murugan (Software)     09 August 2010

House Rent

Dear Sir,

I have a house in Velachery, Chennai which i have given for rent. The same person is staying for rent for the past 4 years. Can i let him to continue to stay or i have to change him as he has stayed for 4 years. I heard someone saying if a person stayed for 7 years in the house then he will become its owner.

Please help me with this.


Saai Murugan


 3 Replies

Dhara Shah (Law Officer)     09 August 2010

You can make a leave and license contract in writing (printed) with ur tenant. Leave and license is a contract for 11 months. After 11 months you have to renew it or you can put an end to the contract between u and the tenant.

With the help of this you can safeguard your property.

Also get it registered or notarize or frankin, this will be an addition to safeguard your property.


1 Like

Saai Murugan (Software)     09 August 2010

Great thanks for your Advice..



Saai Murugan

V.T.Venkataram (Advocate and Consumer Activist)     11 August 2010

Staying for 7 years does not confer ownership of house. But please enter into a rental agreement with the tenant and register it .Rental agreements are compulsorily registerable,and in case of nonregistration,  the same  becomes inadmissible . 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register