LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sonu (na)     17 January 2024

House ownership name change in registry after fathers death

Hello, I live in my own house with my Mother and sister. The house registry is in my Fathers name. Father died in yr 2014 .My father did the registered will which says the current house will belong to me and and my mother. Father built house with own money

Now we want to construct the 1st floor. The architect told us to get the property registered in my name and my mothers name since it is required for naksha approval in Ghaziabad development authority (GDA) for 1st floor construction

I asked few lawyers and they say there is no concept of Updating new names(my and mothers ) in house registry once the father dies.

1) what should I do ?

2) I heard there is a concept of mutation of house property ? what does it mean ? Do we need to get mutation of our house ?

3) is mutation to be done in GDA or Nagar nigam ?

4) what is the process of mutation ? Do I need to hire an agent or hire a lawyer for mutation

5) ANy fee required for mutation ?


rgds sachin





 2 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     17 January 2024

REegistered WILl must orodece in the municipality office fjr updation mutation.Mutation is a legal requirement in many countries to establish legal ownership of a property. It provides a formal record of the property transfer. Taxation: Mutation can also impact property tax liabilities, as tax authorities may assess property tax based on the updated ownership information.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     17 January 2024

Mutation of property records from the name of deceased on favor of the legal heirs or beneficiaries of the Will is a process to acquire title in the revenue records. 

You can apply for transfer of revenue records by submitting an application jointly with your mother before the Nagar nigam along with NOC from your siblings and a copy of Will,  death certificate, registered sale deed and legal certificate with an application annexed with your identity proofs. 

You can do it by yourself without the assistance of anyone. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register