LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Satish   03 August 2015

Help required with locker

My friend has taken a locker in HDFC Bank in 2010 with his wife as a primary holder and him being the secondary holder for the locker. They initially had a joint account which is linked to the locker. This new account is linked to my friend's customer id as he has already holding account with HDFC bank.

The locker is having either or survivor mode so that he can operate this locker.
Unfortunately my friend has divorced from his wife some time back and he doesnt know the whereabouts of his ex-wife any more.  
After divorce, he has closed the joint account to which the locker is linked, but the locker got attached to his existing account.

This locker hasnt been operated since allottment (about 5 years) as my friend has shifted to a location which is distant from the locker branch, He doesn't realize about the locker where his ex-wife was the primary holder. He recently approached the bank for surrender of this locker(he has the key of the locker) and it is then he realized that the primary holder for the locker is his ex-wife, 
The bank officials said that all the holders of the locker need to be present in person and sign for surrender of the locker. When he informed about his situation, the bank official told the same thing that he has to find his ex-wife and get her in person to the branch for this as a process, 
As a matter of fact and common sense, his ex-wife would not be willing to co-operate with him in this regard. He has the option of continuing as-is with this locker but he has to have this for life time where the rent is 3K per anum and he would not be able to use it much as he lives in a location distant from this branch, 

As per RBI guidelines, for any unoperated lockers(for about 3 years), even though rent is being paid regularly, a notice has to be sent to the hirers demanding for reasons in writing and should be closed as a follow-up if satisfactory response has not been received. My friend has not received any such notices neither his locker is closed.

Can any one help him to deal with it legally?

Thanks

Learning

2 Replies

Adv. Sagar R. Jadhav (Proprietor)     03 August 2015

You must address letter to your bank stating all your circumstances and facts in respect of your locker and reasons that why you want to closed the same You also state that you are not using said locker and you will not be entitle to pay any charges thereafter. Dont pay any charges thereafter and also take acknowlegement of the same for your future reference.

Satish   03 August 2015

Hi Sagar,

Thanks for replying.  The locker is linked to an existing HDFC account and the rent will be auto-debited every year by April 1st. Does he need to give a representation to the bank for this seperately? Also, is it valid where a locker is linked to account that does not belong to the primary holder of the locker?

Thanks

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register