Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

K (N/A)     18 February 2015

Help please!

Dear Sirs/Madam

We were a family of 4. Both my parents have passed away. And have left my elder sibling and me a house in our native state. 

As neither my sibling nor me live in our native state, we want to sell the property (to an external buyer).

But my relatives want to use the empty property and house as a vacation home and have brainwashed my sibling to buy it from me. I have no objection to it. 

But my sibling has verbally promised to buy and we have also discussed the price, but will not pay me. Despite repeated phone calls, emails and correspondence, no payment since Jan 2014. I have been very patient until now, but I have no job and no savings (I'm a housewife) whereas my sibling is an NRI with a high paying job. 

I am in need of some cash for my future and to pay against a home loan and support my husband. 

Please let me know what steps I should take? I have offered to forgo all my rights to the property as I live with my husband in our own house in another State

Please help.! This is mentally frustrating and I am still mourning the loss of my parents where I have had no emotional help from my sibling or family members..

Thank You



 3 Replies

Subash M R (Advocate)     18 February 2015

You are entitled to get 1/4th share in the ancestral property and for that you may approach concerned civil court in filing partition suit in this regard.

Thanking you, 

K (N/A)     19 February 2015

Thank you for the response.. But my sibling and I are the only two surviving members. And this property was constructed by my mother. Why am I entitled to only 1/4th?

K (N/A)     20 February 2015

How long will it take for my civil suit to be heard in court? And how does the court help?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query