Criminal Trident Pack: IPC, CrPC and IEA by Sr. Adv. G.S Shukla and Adv. Raghav Arora
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Octo_08 (Graduate Trainee)     20 October 2010

Harassment from Mother-in-law, please advice



I need urgent help. My marriage life is spoiled to very great extent.

As they did demand 2 lakh cash during engagement time we gave 1.5 as cash and remaining through credit card for bracelet to my husband. They after engagement before marriage they did demand me more money and silver vessels, we gave silver vessels on the day of marriage. So my mother in law started giving mental torture from the first day of my marriage. She wanted all my salary to give in her hand, which I didn’t agree. So she started harassment for me. I became pregnant after 3 months of my marriage, so she told to abort it and I didn’t do that. So my brother came to take me back to mom’s place, she gave complaint as theft, dacoit, trespass these section in the complaint against my brother and me. My brother went and gave response for that. Later, my husband did a separate house and we stayed only for 1 month and he did beat me badly during my 4th month pregnancy. We got the MLC done and gave domestic violence miscellaneous complaint against my husband and mother-in-law. But police didn’t take any action on that, as I was pregnant we left it. But mother-in-law got a court order for her case and made me to run round police station during my 9th month pregnancy. After verification police closed the case with ‘B’ report. Things became ok once I gave birth, but they even gave application not to give father’s name for my kid in the hospital as well as BBMP. Somehow things became ok by 5th month of the my baby, due to family pressure I went back to my husband house and stayed there for 6 months.


I was giving part of my salary to my husband and they were not statisfied with that, so created issues and my Mother-in-law thrown me out of her house. After that she only went and gave complaint against me telling I kidnapped my own daughter in the Vanitha sahayvani. They directed to police and police called for verification and took response from me and when they came to know her complaint is false they closed the case. But again I got call from vanitha sahayavani for the counseling, when I went I got shocked to hear the complaints against me. My mother-in-law says I was married to somebody else and then without giving divorce I married to my husband. And lot more things about my character which I am not able to digest and my husband was kept quite for her false allegation on me. And when I went for the second counseling My mother-in-law says they will not apply for divorce but they expect me to pay 50% of my salary to my husband as maintenance charge for spoiling his life. And infront of the Officer she said she wanted to kill me she couldn’t do it, but she will kill me somehow. My husband is not ready for mutual divorce instead they are simply troubling me giving case one after the other. I don’t want to give case against my husband as I feel my kid may need father’s love later in her life, and he may realize his mistake and may rejoin us. I am not in a position to run around for court and police station, taking care of kid and office work is become major priority as may be need to lead my life alone in future.

But I want to give case against my Mother-in-law as she is giving mental torture to me by calling my Manager in my work place and trying to spoil my carrer life.


Please advice what case I can lodge against my Mother-in-law, as she says she will kill me. And is there any law says where wife has to pay maintenance charge to her husband?  I am taking care of my baby and even I don’t want to give my baby to him at any cost. And how many times a person can lodge a complaint against another person? Is there no law to control my mother-in-laws crooked behavior? If so please do suggest me the best approach to my life situation.



 4 Replies

Octo_08 (Graduate Trainee)     20 October 2010

Hi Harsha,

Thanks for the quick reply. Is there any way out that I can give complaint against only on my mother-in-law not including my husband?. The case which will safe guard me in case if she try to attempt any sort of action on me like if she tries to kill me by any means, as she is a doctor by profession.

Mahadeva Rao G (ADVOCATE)     20 October 2010


If  u r  in bangalore   u  can  check  me  out  at   for  other  sorts  of parallel  relief.    Mr. Harsh's  advice  is more  suitable.     Also  irrespective of  male  or  female  if  some one is threatened   to  get  killed   it  is  necessary  to  file  criminal  case  against  such  person    in   police station.

good luck


You can very much file a criminal case or complaint adding the statement when your mother-in-law threatened to kill you in front of Officers of vanitha sahayavani as you said. You will get police protection for sure if you complain in local police station . The officers of vanitha sahayavani can stand as witness to the threat if you file criminal charges against your mother-in-law.

If you think your husband have any thinking of returning to you then you can file only against your mother-in-law but as per your saying that your husband has beaten you in the seperate house and have been kept quite all this time knowing everything his mother is doing to you then according to me you should take both of them in but its just a suggestion.

Morally your mother-in-law has done too much cruelity and is taking advantage of you not reacting to anything. If you think that by staying quite it will ease the situation then i hope so not. Its time for you to take them behind bars or stleast stop them the legal way.

Harsh sir here is already helping you in a more legal way

Suresh Ram (Business)     21 October 2010

You can ensure not only your Mother in law but also other reletives are put into Jail.

Sec 498a will come handy if you include your husband. 

Advocates like Harsha are waiting to compel police to arrest the accused.

You may also remember that after arrest also you can as usual compromise with your husband and get monetary compensation under DV Act.

 If your husband has some property youcan confisicate also.

Besides you can file 125 Cr Pc and for money for you as well you child.


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query