Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Gops (Project Manager)     25 June 2014

Harassment from icici bank for personal loan

Hello,

I am glad to see that such sites are available where I can approach and get help.

Before I could come to my present problem, I would like to let you know that in Feb 2008 I got personal loan from ICICI bank (Amount - 2,45,000 / 48 Months). I did pay my EMI's regularly for 7-8 months but from Jan 2009 to Mar 2009 (3 months) I could not pay the EMI's because of some personal issue at home. From April 2009 I asked the bank to give me some option to repay the 3 months amount and continue my EMI but they did not agree and asked me to pay the remaining loan amount with interest at one shot and close the loan. I informed bank that I am not in a financial situation to repay the complete loan amount at one shot and they did not give any other option to get this settled. I made many calls and requested them to help me with getting my EMI back as before, but they did not agree. But after a month or two the recovery agents (not bank) started calling my number asking to repay the loan amount at one shot. I clearly informed them that I am not running away and want to repay the amount bank but can not pay them at one shot and want the EMI option back. Even they did not agree and they stopped calling me after some time. Again after 3 or 4 month another recovery agent called my mother in my native place and inquired about me and threatened her that if I did not pay the loan amount bank they will go to my native place and recover the amount from her. Next day they again called my mother and asked her to give my contact details. Because my contact number by then got changed. My mother did give them my new number and they contacted me. From them I came to know that they did call my friends and relatives to check for my new number. THIS WAS CLEAR HARASSMENT FOR ME AND MY FAMILY. Again I requested this recovery agent to give me options to repay the loan amount. They refused and asked me to re-pay the complete loan amount including the interest. Again they stopped calling me and my family and friends for few months. After 5 months one of the recovery agent went to my native place and asked my mother to repay the amount or give my number. It looked like every time there were a new agent and they did not had my number. This time my mother did not entertain them and asked them to leave the house otherwise she will call the police. They left the house with a legal notice addressed to me, where they had mentioned some number to give a callback but when I tried calling that number it was not a working number. By this time I didn't wanted to speak to these recovery agents because they were not able to give me any options to repay the loan amount. Till date some recovery agents keep calling my friends and family members asking for my number and contact details after every 4-5 months.

I want to settle this issue but seems like ICICI bank is in no mood to help me.

What can I do here?

Learning

7 Replies

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     25 June 2014

I am sure you native place is covered by a thana in whose jurisdiction your mother received the threat (not being a loanee) and where unwanted visitors were received.  Merely wartning them of police action wil nto do.  You have to give complaint to Police.

Also give complaint to RBI.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     25 June 2014

You may go thru another thread at;

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Icici-bank-harassment-over-personal-loan-after-8-yrs-104050.asp#.U6ruT5SSwb8

and many other threads mentioned in it, pick up the points, RBI guidelines, judgments and proceed further.

It shall be better if you proceed under the expert advise of your lawyer.

In another thread it is posted that High Court imposed penalty on FI for harassing the relative.

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/experts/Arbitration-479866.asp#.U6rvdJSSwb8

Gops (Project Manager)     26 June 2014

Thanks for your suggestions. I am going through the provided links. If I have anymore doubts I will get back to you. Thanks again and appreciate your time.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     26 June 2014

everytime you agree to pay, a limitation of three years is revived for filing civil suit againt you.

icicibankcare (Bank)     30 June 2014

Dear Sir,

We regret the inconvenience caused. Please send us your contact details at care@icicibank.com and our official will get back to you soon to assist you. Kindly refer '47628742' in the subject line.

Regards,

ICICI Bank Customer Service Team

Kumar Doab (FIN)     30 June 2014

You may once again go thru

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Icici-bank-harassment-over-personal-loan-after-8-yrs-104050.asp#.U6ruT5SSwb8

and see what kind of response M/s ICICI bank and its customer care gives…………..

You may also go thru various other threads e.g.:

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Breach-of-trust-by-the-icici-bank-employee-104561.asp#.U7DysJSSwb8

It shall be appropriate if your lawyer communicates and you handle the matter under expert advise of the lawyer and having understood the matter from your lawyer.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     30 June 2014

vinay na mane jaladhi jad divas teen gaye beet

bole ram sakope tab bhay binu hot na preet

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register