LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

aditi   25 January 2015

Harassment by icici bank collections

Hi...I took a loan from icici in 2007 for 134000 and paid around 79939...i had a few medical and personal issues in between for which i kept the bank posted,however they still added unnecessary charges on my account.. Due to which i asked them for a statement which they did not send...i have been receiving threatening calls from their collection agencies who want me to pay 2 lakh 34 thousand and are not ready to talk about settlement or provide any documents...also they are very abusive and if i don't receive their calls they start calling my ex-office colleagues,my relatives, my in laws and even neighbors near my parents' house. I am a married lady and these people are defaming me by talking bad about me and calling me names and sharing all the financial details with everyone they talk to.my father is a heart and bp patient and he was called 25-30times today and harassed and when i called them to talk they were very abusive and kept on using statements like aap chor hain and pure paise bharne padenge..koi settlement nahi denge 7saal se aapne settle nahi kiya...i am really harassed and mentally depressed because as it is i have spinal issues and all these things are impacting my personal life to an extent that i am in depression...i really want to sue them for defaming me and the harassment i have been through and also want them to stop calling people.

Learning

8 Replies

aditi   25 January 2015

Please help me as i am just too tensed and these calls are forcing me towards depression as i just can't receive any calls coz i have started avoiding receiving calls from anyone as most of the times they are calling me because of the calls they have received from them...i also get calls from random people whom i don't even know saying Satish from icici is calling them saying that i gave their number as a reference....and when i ask them where did they get my number from...they tell me it has been given by him. Please help me...being a female it is very disturbing getting random calls...i have received collection calls even late at night which makes my life even more difficult...please help me somehow

aditi   25 January 2015

Please help me as i am just too tensed and these calls are forcing me towards depression as i just can't receive any calls coz i have started avoiding receiving calls from anyone as most of the times they are calling me because of the calls they have received from them...i also get calls from random people whom i don't even know saying Satish from icici is calling them saying that i gave their number as a reference....and when i ask them where did they get my number from...they tell me it has been given by him. Please help me...being a female it is very disturbing getting random calls...i have received collection calls even late at night which makes my life even more difficult...please help me somehow

Daksh (Student)     26 January 2015

Ms.Aditi,

The law is very clear that these collection agencies cannot take law into their own hands.  Even telecalling has been termed illegal these days forget about these threatening calls.  In usual commercial parlance these collection agencies have certain bucket depending upon the amount and time period.

In my humble opinion at the onset itself you should have taken them to task.  Go and file a police complaint stating the factual matrix of your case and requesting them to trace your phone record in your support.

Last but not least make a written representation to the Bank ombudsmen stating your harassment at the hands of collection agency as they are hired by the Bank itself and Bank is accountable for their actions.   I am surprised as to why the Bank has not approached the court as yet as in most of these cases they rush to the court and try to get marked their cases to the LOK ADALATS who shall be more than happy to settle their cases in bulk.

I hope this clarifies

Best regards

Daksh

aditi   26 January 2015

Thanks Daksh...i will do the same

aditi   26 January 2015

Thanks Daksh...i will do the same

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     27 January 2015

In the first place, you should have settled the outstanding loans because you are liable for it.  Your lame excuses cannot be a reason for non-payment.  However now it appears to be barred by limitation hence the bank collection agents are using third degree approach. Nevertheless, you may issue a legal notice to the concerned bank stating that their agents are unnecessarily torturing you by using all type of filthy languages as well as defaming your name by calling your relatives and other friends which is illegal.  If at all they had any claim, they should approach the court and not adopting such  low class steps/attitude.  If this fails to invoke any response, you may think about filing defamation suit.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     27 January 2015

Sorry repeated due to technical error, hence deleted.

aditi   30 January 2015

I went to d bank directly and paid off the principal balance to cleat it off..however,now i want to take some action for the harassment i and people around me have been through...i did leave a message on icici website and got a call from them..i have laso recorded the kind of conversation the collection agent was hqving with me..please suggest...as i don't think that anyone's financial condition can give the collection agents the right to malign their public inage and harass peiple near and dear to them

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register