LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

vinayak pandey (asst officer)     04 October 2010

GOVT service rule

why a doctor get non practicing allowances in government service. and others professional like engineers are not paid non practicing allowances

Learning

2 Replies

R.Ramachandran (Advocate)     04 October 2010

Dear Mr. Vinayak,

My off the cuff, unresearched, and crude answer to your query:

(i) No government servant is supposed to engage himself in private practice while holding the government job.

(ii) Having said that, if a Doctor treats a patient in his house or clinic, probably he may take a defence that after all he only by his service protected the life of the patient and as such he should not be dealt with harshly.  Thus, in the process if he collects money and thrives, it will be difficult to prevent such practice by the doctors.  Even if they take action, if the doctors prefer to leave the government job, then the government hospitals will suffer very badly.  Thus as a via-media, the Government would have agreed to give non-practising allowance to the Doctors to compensate them for what they would have otherwise earned while rendering medical service in their house or clinics, and at the same time retaining their whole hearted service to the government hospitals.

(iii) Such a life saving reason cannot be advanced by others like Engineers, Architects etc. and as such there is no need to grant them non-practising allowance.

The above may or may not satisfy you.  As already said, this is answer has no legal backing or other government rules; but purely my imagination and rationalisation.

prof s c pratihar (medical practitioner &legal studies)     07 October 2010

thanks for elaborate discussion. some more to add---in govt hosp except inst like AIIMS or PGI chandigarh etcit was a failed experiment to make the service non practising.all quality doctors will then leave govt service and get attachment in some private hospital.wb govt for political reason made wb med edu service non practising.most of doctors left service and no teachers available to run so many govt hosp.when such experient failed again practice was allowed.in uk consultant s work in hosp of national health service 9 am to 5 pm .after that they practice up to 11 pm.it is a irony to see prof of history and prof of surgery almost get same salary and pension.so far i know prof of iit basic pay rs 47000/-.in wb civil judge (sr div)basic pay srarts from 57 000/ rs.those who deserves ,work hard must be compensated this way or other.moreover there is question of demand and supply.there should be consideration between entitlement and deprivation.moreover we cannot equate governess in uk than that of india.here doctors holding nonpractising post doing private practice known to most of us.these are the bundle of facts cited  and all are true. dr pratihar

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register