LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Balaji (Working)     03 September 2010

Government Holidays

Hi, I am working in an BPO in Tamil Nadu. It's an rural based BPO. I got angry over the management, because they are not granting leave on general government holidays like Ramzan, Krishna Jayanthi, etc., If i am opt to get leave on that days, they are saying that " it is a unauthorized leave and it will go in loss of pay". They are also saying that they had allotted only 9 Holidays/yr. I want to know, whether the company can have the right to frame their own list of Holidays or they have to bow down for Government list of Holidays? Please help me on this!

Learning

2 Replies

Pratheep Kumar (Asst. Manager - HR)     03 September 2010

Mr. Balaji

The national & festival holidays are declared based on the Act.  No organization can decide about the declaration of National Holidays.  Only festival holidays can be declared by the employer based on the requirement of the employees of the organization.  However once the employer submitted / filed the list of festival holidays to the labour department it can not be changed.  There is no requirement to follow the government declared holidays to the organizations.

Regards

Pratheep Kumar. R

Reetu Dwivedi (Paralegal)     03 September 2010

Pratheep is right. As per my information - Festival leaves are entirely dependent on what the company  decleares  . The compulsory holidays  are Independence Day , Republic Day and Gandhi Jayanthi. Labour or May day is  optional.
Normally Leave  days  for festival varies   between   8 to 14 days

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register