LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Good news! Court raises daughter's maintenance by Rs.800

SOURCE - https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/delhi/Court-tells-govt-official-to-raise-allowance-to-daughter/articleshow/8575213.cms

Court tells govt official to raise allowance to daughter

NEW DELHI:

A trial court has ordered a defence ministry official to raise the monthly maintenance to his daughter to Rs 2,000 and continue giving her the grant till her marriage, in addition to the Rs 10,000 that he has been paying his wife since 2009.

While ordering defence ministry official Kishan Lal Bhalla to raise his daughter's maintenance, Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) Sanjay Sharma also rebuked him for being unaware of his children's condition. "It cannot be expected from a father that he is unaware of the educational and marital status of his children unless he is voluntarily neglecting them," the judge said.

A magisterial court, earlier in 2009, had ordered Bhalla to pay Rs 10,000 as monthly maintenance to his estranged wife, besides a sum of Rs 1,200 to his school-going daughter. The court ordered Bhalla to enhance his daughter's pocket money on an appeal by his wife that their daughter was now a college-going girl and needed more money to take care of her growing needs.

"In my view, the maintenance granted to the daughter at the rate of Rs 1,200 per month appears to be on the lower side considering that she is now a grown-up girl and is studying in BA (Final Year) with growing needs. Hence, the maintenance awarded to her at the rate of Rs 1,200 per month is enhanced to Rs 2,000 per month," the court said.

In her appeal to the sessions court for enhanced maintenance to her daughter, the mother also pointed out that the magisterial court had ordered payment of maintenance to her daughter only till she attains majority while the law provides for maintenance till marriage. On the mother's appeal, the sessions court also stipulated that the father will continue paying maintenance to his daughter till her marriage.

var zz=0;var sldsh=0;var bellyaddiv = '

'; var stindex=100; var stp=150; var taglen=0; var tmp; var tagcheck = new Array("div","span","br","font","a"); var storycontent = document.getElementById("storydiv").innerHTML; var firstpara = storycontent.substring(0,storycontent.toLowerCase().indexOf("")).toLowerCase(); function findptt(cnt){ zz++; if(zz == 10)return; var xxx=-1,yyy=-1; var ccnt = cnt; for(ii=0; ii < tagcheck.length; ii++){ xxx = ccnt.indexOf("<"+tagcheck[ii]); if(xxx != -1 && xxx < 150){ stp = stp; var tmp1 = ccnt.substring(ccnt.indexOf("<"+tagcheck[ii]),ccnt.length); yyy = tmp1.indexOf(">"); if(yyy != -1){ taglen += yyy; stp = stp + yyy; yyy+=1; } break; taglen = taglen + tagcheck[ii].length + 3; } } if(xxx == -1 || xxx >= 150){ return; }else{ var tmp2 = ccnt.substring(0,xxx); tmp2 += ccnt.substring((yyy+xxx),ccnt.length); findptt(tmp2); } }findptt(firstpara); if(firstpara.length <= taglen + 150){ stp = firstpara.length; } var tmpminus=0; var tmpcon = storycontent.substring(0,stp); if(tmpcon.lastIndexOf("<") < tmpcon.lastIndexOf(">")){ }else{ tmpminus = tmpcon.length - tmpcon.lastIndexOf("<"); } stp = stp - tmpminus; tmpcon = storycontent.substring(0,stp); stp = tmpcon.lastIndexOf(' '); tmpcon = storycontent.substring(0,stp) +" "+ bellyaddiv + storycontent.substring(stp,storycontent.length); if(sldsh == 0 && doweshowbellyad != 1){}else{ document.getElementById("storydiv").innerHTML = tmpcon; } var bellyad=document.getElementById("bellyad"); var RN = new String (Math.random()); var RNS = RN.substring (2,11); var b2 = ' '; if (doweshowbellyad==1) bellyad.innerHTML = b2;

var glreledted=0;

Learning

6 Replies

zimmerzapper (student)     26 May 2011

i can't understand whether you are being sarcastic or not

1 Like

Ambika (NA)     26 May 2011

My friend 's daughter is in 10th standard. Her educational expenses apart form the school fee itself comes around 8000 per month. This includes her transport, extra curricular activities and  tuition fee for one subject only. Apart from this, the  money  is spent on her medical needs  and personal needs  like recreation, clothings and occassionally eating out.  I wonder how Rs 2000 would be sufficient for a college going girl ofthe defence ministry official....he must be earning good amount includinng his perks! 

It's indeed a pittance for the daughter, unless mother is also earning sufficiently and is able to cater to the needs of her growing daughter. 

Unless one reads the full judgement, one cannot say if the maintenance amount thus ordered is just or not. 

(Guest)

They probably will use the entire 2000 in legal expenses.

1 Like

(Guest)
Originally posted by :zimmerzapper
"
i can't understand whether you are being sarcastic or not
"

Don't you realize what a mind blowing news it is,dear Zimmer Zapper?

Therefore the newspaper also deemed it fit to be reported .

@ Ambika

I had tried to find the judgement before posting this,but could not succeed.So I posted without it.I hope someone who can find it posts it here.

1 Like

syed (Branch incharge)     27 May 2011

If father salary or income is less than its fine otherwise 2000 rupees is less to maintain school and other expenses,

Fathers must provide better benefits to thier kids, if they want to reduce the maintenance of Ex-wife base on her current earnings then its ok.

syed (Branch incharge)     27 May 2011

good job done meenal

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register