IBC Code: Complete Overview and Drafting Workshop. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

SM Srivastava (Retired)     28 June 2013

Gift to son-in law



Can an individual  take from  or give Gift to his son-in-law ? Does the son-in-law come to be a relative u/s 56(2) VII of Income Tax Act ?


 4 Replies

Adv Archana Deshmukh (Practicing Advocate)     28 June 2013

Son-in-law is a relative u/s 56(2) VII of Income Tax Act.


Yes, an individual can receive/ give gift from/ to his son in law under the provisions of section 56(2) vi of I T Act, 1961

Arpit lalan (Legal Consultancy/Advocate)     02 July 2013

Individual can receive/give gift to/from Son in law as per income tax act. Provision under Sec.56(2) of the said act. Defination of Relative includes SON-IN-LAW.

prakharved (Medical officer)     04 July 2013

@sm srivastava


Yes, gift can be given to our son in law by means of a gift deed. If it is a property, it should be registered in your name, also, it should have been in your possession for the past 30 years to execute a gift deed.


Answer to the second question is yes.


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query