Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Satish (farmer)     27 February 2022

Gift deed to maternal grand daughter

Hello All,

I was told by a document writer that transfering a property to a maternal grand daughter is considered as 'Others', hence normal stamp duty of appx 4% should be paid. Is it true? Does not she fall under 'blood relative' ? Please suggest me.

Many thanks,
Satish

Learning

4 Replies

Sharmishta P Raj (nil)     28 February 2022

Firstly, your maternal granddaughter is your 'blood relative.'A blood relative is someone who shares at least one parent with you. Immovable property, such as land, a home, or an apartment, can be passed on to one's children or blood relatives without paying stamp duty. This will be a huge relief for families since they would no longer have to pay stamp duty of 5% of the ready reckoner rate of the property.

Thanks!

Satish (farmer)     28 February 2022

Thank you Sharmisshta. In that case, I need to find some other Document Writer.

Palak batra   28 February 2022

Dear Querist,

The stamp duty on the transfer of gift deed purely depends upon the laws of the state where property is situated. Gift deed stamp duty in India varies from state to state and can range between 2% and 7% of the property value. As the gift is received by the maternal granddaughter who is a blood relative, the transfer of the gift itself will not trigger any income tax implications for you. 

Under the transfer of property act, the gift has to be backed by a registered instrument or document, signed by or on behalf of the person gifting the property and it should also be attested by at least two eyewitnesses.

Regards,

Palak

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     01 March 2022

A maternal grandmother or a grandfather is a mother's mother or father. Who is a maternal grand-daughter? I would like to know.  A son's daughter or a daughter's daughter is just a granddaughter.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register