LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

ram   27 January 2023

Foreign citizen guardian for minor who holds oci card


My daughter 4 year old resides in canada, canadian citizen by birth and OCI card holder.

I am father, naturalized canadian citizen, but no OCI card (no plan to apply).

My daughter is soon getting a gift deed for an apartment in india from her grand parents.

As my daughter is minor, I as father will be the guardian acting on her behalf.

Since I am not OCI holder and not indian citizen, could I act as guardian in this matter of accepting gift deed for my minor daughter?

Or is it only foreign citizen parent with OCI or PIO status can act as guardian in this matter?


thank you


 3 Replies

Real Soul.... (LEGAL)     27 January 2023

Yes you as father can be her guardian, you will be guardian until she attains majority, Juts draft the documents carefully and detail properly the contents

ram   27 January 2023

thanks...but i am currently foreign citizen after renouncing indian oci/pio card and no plan to apply..

can i still be guardian for this indian property matter for my minor daughter as a foreign citizen



sahithi reddy   31 January 2023

You will be her guardian until she reaches adulthood, thus yes, as her father, you are allowed to be her guardian. Just make sure to thoroughly create the documents and describe their contents.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query