LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

M.Sivakumar (Self)     07 August 2013

Foreclosure charges on a home loan

I understand that as per RBI circular on June 2012, foreclosure charges on prepayment of home loan is abolished. But apparently there is some fine-print to it which I cannot fathom. Please clarify :

1. I have taken a home loan account with a bank as on 2004.

2. I topped up the above loan on 2006.

3. The earlier loan taken on 2004 is closed and the a new loan was made effective as on Aug 2006.

4. On August 2013 I decided to foreclose the above loan and applied for a foreclosure statement.

5. The bank provided me a foreclosure statement which included pre-payment charges.

6. When I queried the bank on the pre-payment charges (which is abolished by RBI) they said it is valid and provided the following explanation : What I have taken is Home Loan Enhancement and not Home Loan. And hence the prepayment charges apply.

7. I dont understand the difference between Home Loan and Home Enhancement Loan - for all practical purposes both are same. The only thing I did is take an top-up on the original loan amount sanctioned.

Can any of the expert clarify whether the stand taken by the bank is correct ? Or they are just escaping on fine-print ?

Thanks and regards,

Sivakumar

Learning

2 Replies

Advocate Rohit (Advocate)     08 August 2013

Home Loan enhancement/ Home Loan is a part of Home Loans only. The word is Home Loans gives a wider meaning to the home loan. thus bank cannot distinguish on the terminology.

Regards,

Advocate Rohit Dalmia

Mumbai

ASHWINI T (ADVOCATE)     12 August 2013

Hi

In Home Loan     rules  and  regalation varies  as   most  of the  bank  take forclosure chanrges if it is Fixed  rate  or  if  loan is  getting close  with  a year   applied loan and  for floating    it is  no  cost / less   amout  compared    fixed  interest of home loan. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register