LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Govindaswamy (Software engineer)     15 September 2008

Forced marriage

My friend got engaged to a guy.But now she is not willing for the marriage.But her parents are forcing her for the marriage by locking her up and beating her.She wants to come out of home and lead a seperate life.Can she go to police station and file a complain?Also is it required that she should have some one with her when she goes to police station and log a complain as she dont have anyone to support her.Can law provide security to her from their parents and family members?


 3 Replies

Himanshu Prabhakar (Advocate)     16 September 2008

Dear Govindaswamy,


yes, your friend can go straight to police station to lodge a complaint against the persons / family members who are forcing her. she can go alone or with anyone its her wish. police will help her. she need not have to worry.

Gaurav Jain (Providing Legal Services)     16 September 2008

Yes she can lodge a complaint at the nearest police station but it would be an advantage if some one with her. Also she can consult an advovate online who could help him to lodge her complaint directly in the court u/s 156(3) Crpc if she dosent want to go to the police or police dosent help her. 


Gaurav Jain (Advocate)




whatever her parents are doing with her is against law. law provides adequate protection from her parents and family members.

she can not be forced for marriage against her wishes. if she wants to file a criminal complaint against them she can do so under section 323, 342 of IPC which provide punishment for voluntry causing hurt and wrongful confinement respectively. this can be done by stating the facts on a plain paper and submitting it to the concerned police station.

she is not required to be accompanied with someone while lodging the complaint.



sumit shekhar. adv.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register