LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Udit Kumar   18 January 2022

forced marriage

me and my girlfriend are in relationship since 7..8 years and love each other so much i tried to convince her family but they are not even listening
since last 4 months they have detained her somewhere i do not have any medium to contact her they are threatening and forcing her to marry her someone else against her will.....so please give me advice what i can do legally to get her free from her home

Learning

2 Replies

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     18 January 2022

Pray for a happy married life to her, as no one can help you unless she convinces her family members or you..  Any hasty step may complicate things for you and your career.  Wait patiently and let her convince her family members or some other decision she deems fit.

Aryan Raj   18 January 2022

In response to your query,

A forced marriage is a violation of human rights. It is also a form of gender violence, since it usually involves mental abuse, emotional blackmail, and coercion from either the family or society.

Civil laws applicable to all communities relevant in the context of forced marriage include the Prohibition of Child Marriage Act, 2006, the Guardians and Wards Act, 1890, the Majority Act, 1875, the Family Courts Act, 1984 and the Family Courts Rules as laid down in various states, as well as the recent Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005.

One can use the PWDVA to prevent child marriages/forced marriages of daughters, as the Act understands forced marriage as a form of domestic violence (Section 3(a) PWDVA).

You can begin the legal process of rescuing your friend by first filing an FIR for a missing person and give her family member's names as possible suspects. I wish good for you and your friend.

Regards,

Aryan Raj 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register