LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ks Singh jiii (Partner)     27 November 2012

Footnotes ipr

Hi friends as you know i am a legal adviser in few MNC's recently in my company as very intreasting case has come to my desk i though to share with you and take the opinion of my friends here in this forum.

There is a two publishing houses in NCR one is very old and other one is new in the market however there name is not simmilar but still company is saying that they have used similar trade marks along with that they have filed a case and saying that the author which has written this book have copied there style of Footnotes and there bare acts in the book. I just want to take your help in this that is there any specific style of footnotes which can be copyrighted and also does bare act have anything to do with copyright as they are largely available at public domains and everywhere is the same.

Please give me you valuable suggestion in this and tell me that can footnotes be copyrighted or not though my footnotes and their footnotes are complety different in term of fonts, numbering, the matter of the book also.

Please comments as soon as possible.

Regards

KP Singh

Learning

2 Replies

sakshi (student)     28 November 2012

Hi, 

there are many caes in which supreme court observed that the footnotes are not copyrightable subject matter as ther fall in public domain.. they will get copyright as they are its own ideas and writting skills

subramanian (consultant)     29 November 2012

Bare Acts have also footnotes.In this case  there is no copyright for these footnotes.However when bare act is printed by publishers sometimes they add some extra information and explanations as footnotes.In this case the footnotes have copyright value.

T.R.Subramanian

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register