LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Payal Goyal (executive)     24 April 2014

Fixed deposit Mode is Either Survivor

Dear Sir,

I am Married woman and My father and mother was passed away ,i have younger brother, for our future purpose my father arrange some fixed deposit in local bank were mode is either survivor .total 20 lac deposit is there out of 20 ,10 lac me and father and another 10 lac my brother and father,now my brother not provide my 10 lacs fd's orignal copy also bank denied for provide duplicate copy,also my mother and father not done any weel ,so kindly suggest way how solve this matter...what is RBI law for either survivor mode...? 


Pooja Goyal


 6 Replies

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     24 April 2014

please write facts cogently.


All I could understand that


  1. your father died
  2. your father had on FD in which you are either or survival joint holder
  3. original FD is with brother.
  4. Brother has no stake or right in said FD.


please stated if it is correct

Payal Goyal (executive)     24 April 2014

Yes Sir,all points are right...

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Telangana state Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     24 April 2014

 Every depositor is expected to preserve the FDR carefully. On due date depositor(s) is/are required to discharge on the FDR with a view to getting payment of maturity proceeds either in cash or by crediting his/her/their Savings Bank/Current Deposit Account with the same branch. Convince your brother and grab it.

Payal Goyal (executive)     24 April 2014

Yes sir I know that,also I have detailed fd statement.....kindly give ur suggestion ...what I doo next..?

malipeddi jaggarao (retired banker)     25 April 2014

There are two ways.  One is to settle the matter amicably by involving elders who can convince him that his act is not justified and it has to be returned to you. 

The other way is to threaten him that you will lodge police complain for holding the FDR illegally.

Third one is convince the bank that you will an indemnity for issuing a duplicate FDR along with another guarantor. 

M.S.R.Murty ( Manager (Admn))     25 April 2014


You may  put an request appeal with the Banker not to disburse the payment of FDs on maturity  or any loans since you are also a legal heir for the amounts.  And also attach your father's death certificate copy to the letter.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register