Negotiable Instruments: Exhaustive Coverage by Adv Roma Bhagat. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ramesh (manager)     09 January 2010

First cousin marriage

Hai, iam from tamilnadu and iam hindu. Iam in love( we both) with my first cousin( my mothers younger sisters youngest doughter) for past 10 years.  My family knows about our relastionship and are ok with it, but girls family is against. We know that legaly we cannot marry as per indian law, but my question is can we marry in any temple( with out registering our marriage) and live together. What will happen if girls parents lodge a police complaint? will the complaint be valid? Please help me, how can i tackle this situation?


 5 Replies

kranthi kiran (Works In Judicial Department)     09 January 2010

As It is a prohibited relation, marriage is not valid. If the girl is major, she can live at any place of her choice. but it shall be with consent of the girl only. She cannot be forced to live with.

1 Like

Payel Nandi (LAW STUDENT)     09 January 2010


1 Like

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     09 January 2010

Ramesh ji, you are wishing to marry within a prohibited relationship even under Special Marriage Act. Any marriage performed within prohibited relationship is invalid in law. As you said, you can marry and avoid registration. But at any point, you cannot seek legal help afterwards which involves status of you and your wife.

Not having legal recognition has its own disadvatages and so, it is always advisable to marry as per law and get it registered.

1 Like

Ramesh (manager)     11 January 2010

Thank you all for your kind replies. Please tell me  What will happen if girls parents lodge a police complaint? will the complaint be valid? The girl is very much willing to live with me without bothering registrations. A true love never require government or law's approval. Plz help me about police complaint.

Ramesh (manager)     11 January 2010

Hai payal, as you said that we can marry as per  SPECIAL MARRIAGE ACT,1954 AND THEN IT IS VALID MARRIAGE, can you please clarify that how can a prohibited relationship be registered under this act? I think special marriage act(1954) also prohibits this kind of relationships, plz clarify.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads