30% OFF on all Law Courses until 10th of July. Enroll Now. Use Code: July30
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Debasree Seal   17 June 2022

filing divorce

my marriage is not registered. can I still file divorce ? what are my rights?


 8 Replies

Pradipta Nath (Advocate)     17 June 2022

You still need to file divorce. Regarding rights: under what context and circumstances of this case?

Debasree Seal   17 June 2022

I have given every money I have earned to my husband. If I file for divorce, I want my money and my jewellery (which my father gave me) back. How do I get back these? Do I need to show a court order? Can I do that? Also, while filing divorce, do I need to show proof of marriage? Because I don't have any marriage card, marriage didn't happen at some marriage hall, and only have few pictures regarding it.

Pradipta Nath (Advocate)     17 June 2022

You can file divorce by annexing your marriage picture and witnesses to this respect. In case you want back your jewelleriey, lodge a police complaint.

P. Venu (Advocate)     17 June 2022

It is meaningless to post so my queries without disclosing the material facts.

SHIRISH PAWAR, 7738990900 (Advocate)     17 June 2022


Yes, you can file a divorce even if your marriage is not registered. Divorce by executing an agreement is not recognised under the law. You can file a contested divorce application. You have to show to the court that, you were subjected to cruelty, etc. In the application claim your money and jewellery. The court will decide as per the merits of your case. 

Advocate Bhartesh goyal (advocate)     17 June 2022

Agree with expert SHRISH PAWAR.Divorce petition can be filed  without having been registered your marriage. You can also claim your money , jewellary and stri dhan in  divorce petition.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     17 June 2022

Why do you want to file a divorce petition ?

When and where was the marriage solemanised / contracted and consumated ?

Did you have any child born out of this wedlock ?

And many other issues are involved for a fair discussion and forming an opinion.

Consult and engage a local prudent lawyer for appreciation of facts and circumstances, professional advise and necessary proceeding.

Debasree Seal   17 June 2022

It's been 1 year since marriage. I got married to a family where I have seen my brother in law beating his wife. My brother in law got married 3 times in total. My husband didn't register our marriage because he doesn't believe that our marriage will work, as his brother's marriage ended 3 times. That is the same reason he didn't show any interest in having a baby. I got married in my husband's house, keeping no documents was his idea. I got trapped here. There's been no intimacy since 10 months between us. I get abused emotionally, financially, get emotional abandonment from my husband. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query