LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

bhima balla (none)     12 June 2012

Faulty 'woman empowerment' laws and deterioration of society

I am putting this in family forum-although it spans family, civil and criminal realm.

The point is: are laws meant to protect women (read woife/ DIL protection in many cases) and family laws

1) impacting negatively on the society?

2) are the laws framed adequately?

3) If not framed adequately-are they making themselves easier to be misused?

4) What modifications will make them better?

The laws under discussion would be:

498a, PWDVA, HMA, HAMA, ADULTERY, BIGAMY, SEXUAL HARASSMENT etc

Fire away folks!

Learning

6 Replies

PWDVA is the most inept and illconceived law. It has the maximum potential for, and is, being misused. The vague definition of different 'abuses' including those that are normal wear and tear of family matters- is making married life extremely intolerable. The fact that wife can abuse the husband the same way and has no consequences while mere allegation of such acts by husband, puts not only him, but his immediate family members in danger, makes the law dangerous.

The ill defined 'residence' order-including the vagueness of 'shared household' is contributing to much misuse and harassment for husband and family.

Protection order that takes away the child from father is another illconceived clause. Unless specifically proven taking child away amounts to eggregious violation of all forms and must be condemmed. If such allegations are proven false-the law must allow accuser to lose custody forever!

Maitenance-which is rather easy to obtain under this act-is grossly misused as well.

The lack of punitive and other damages for the wronged party makes this a easy to misuse provision.

Alok Tholiya (self employed)     12 June 2012

The statistics say very different facts. First get statistics and then we will be able to agree to fact that all these laws are very badly required. And then there r such insane laws which continue like Mumbai rent control act even after 60 yrs when it had to lapse and the need for that act is over then what can u expect from govt?

Suppose a law is made that says getting money out of any bank constitutes bank robbery. Then anyone withdrawing money-their own money can be arrested and prosecuted for bank robbery! Then, what would the statistic for bank robbery read? That is exactly the case with these illframed laws!

Ranee....... (NA)     12 June 2012

What amounts deterioration of society?

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     14 June 2012

since ancient times,if men and their families had treated DILs as human beings,there was no need for such laws.

men & their families shud have known this,esp. when they can see so clealy that indians are bad in managing the country

Big Iron (Officer)     15 June 2012

I won’t deny that domestic violence doesn't happen but it doesn't mean we can make a flat law which treats all as same.

They say that the motto of our criminal justice system is "let a thousand guilty persons escape but not a single innocent person should be punished."

But in matrimonial disputes it seems motto is reversed as "don’t let a single guilty escape even if thousand innocent persons are punished."  ;)

Feeling of injustice is very hard to cope with and those who suffer only know the same.

Just for fun..

My manager, an American lady, is nonstop express. Can talk for 2-3 hours without any brake and break. After working with her for 3-4 months, I realised that she has nobody to talk with and she keep annoying me now and then. She works at Indian as well as American time. She talks about India, Indian climate, democracy etc.

I didn'nt have much problem as I was getting paid but still one thing I had in my mind was "why is she so lonely or may be so free" :P

Recently she told me that I am unmarried mother and I've two kids who live in hostel. She is going to see them after 3 years as was stuck in work. 

Lo ji ib ja ke mhari simajh main aya is madam ke dhore itana ghana tame kahan te aya....

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register