LIVE Course on Transfer Property Law | Price Hike in 4 days | Grab it now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Mani   24 July 2016

Father blocking daughter's marriage

I have an unmarried sister and our father is not taking any steps to arrange marriage for her. Furthermore, he is blocking our attempts as well (mine and my mom's). Now we are determined to proceed for arranging the marriage with a prospective groom with the my sister's consent. 

But we are afraid whether my father will throw tantrums and ruin it. Is there any legal procedure to prevent my father from interrupting the marriage?

Some more information:

1. My sister is open to marriage and she has given approval/consent to the marriage.

2. Last year, my father wrote in a piece of paper which reads that he will arrange marriage within June 31 2015 and if he fails so, I can take over the proceedings and he will not interrupt. This piece of paper is signed by him and he gave it to our Church Pastor (who still keeps it). Could this document be of any use? Now my father is challenging me that he cannot arrange marriage without his consent and that document is of no use.

3. My father always says that he will arrange the marriage in a suitable time. He is saying the same thing for the past six years.

4. My mom is willing to go to an extent to divorce my father, but I want this to be the last option and I'm not considering this now.


 9 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     24 July 2016

Adult female can marry at her discretion.

Try to involve elders and resolve amicably.

Vibha   25 July 2016

I agree with Kumar Doab.

If your sister wants to marry, no one can stop her if she is adult.

Old saying, "Mia biwi raazi to kya karega kaazi" 

Sandhya Srinivas (Advocate & Legal consultant)     25 July 2016

I do agree with experts opinion.

You have an important role to convince Bride groom and his family related to your father issues. If they understand and accepts marriage proposal, you can conduct your sister marriage. 

You can file police complaint to stop interuption of your father.

P. Venu (Advocate)     25 July 2016

Your sister can marry at her choice, the groom willing. There are no other legal aspects involved. The tantrums of your father needs to be met on its merits.

Augustine Chatterjee,New Delhi (Advocate & Solicitor at Law)     25 July 2016

No legal proiceedinga are required. If your sister is a msjor, she can marry who so ever she wants without any qualms or objections

Augustine Chatterjee

Advocate & Solicitor at Law


Kumar Doab (FIN)     25 July 2016

Hope you are satisfied.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     25 July 2016

fully agreed.

Mani   26 July 2016

Thanks for the answers; appreciate your time.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     26 July 2016

You are welcome.

It is good to see that some querists do come back to thank th Experts/members.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query