Negotiable Instruments: Exhaustive Coverage by Adv Roma Bhagat. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sameer (test)     08 October 2011

Farm land one survey number under two different owners

We inherited 10 acres land from my father who in turn inherited from his father. We registered the land recently and when we went to take measurements with a surveyor, the surveyor found that there is another 10 acres in the same survey number that is owned by another family from the village. It looks like my grandfather and another person bought this together 60 years ago and split it equally amongst themselves.

the 2nd family it seems sold some portion of their land and because of the surveyor suggested that we should get agreement drafted signed by us and the other family clearly stating which 10 acres are our and what is theirs.

the problem is, we are having difficulty getting hold of this other family  to even bring up the discussion and talk about the agreement. I would like to hear from the experienced lawyers/law professionals here and see if there are any better legal strategies to deal with this quickly.




 3 Replies

Manjunath (Business)     09 October 2011

Please check how your grand father got this land in his name. 

Is it by a registered sale deed ? If yes you can get the land survey number bifurcated into two.

In karnataka this process is called Phodi. If the other person doesnot agree for Phodi you can apply for a tatkal phodi in which you will get the phodi done quickly.

sameer (test)     09 October 2011


Thanks for the reply. We do not know how my grandfather purchased the land and whether a sale deed exists.My father would have known but he passed away suddenly few years ago. Our extended family is not aware of it. Would MRO office or anyother govt office have a copy of the sale deed and is it possible to get it from them?


ahmed (document writer)     10 October 2011

Mr. Manjunath

First search for the encumbrance certificate from the concered Sub-Registrar officer, if the survey number found in the Registration then apply for demarcation of your land other wise apply for the town survey record at the district collector officer.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register