LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Humendra Gupta (consultant)     20 January 2013

Family settlement

My father passed away without a will 7 yrs back. He had a property which he had nominated in my name. Since my sister were not happy, had entered into a family settlement agreement of paying each x amount for 10 years towards his assets as well as my mothers assets (she is still alive). All have agreed and signed in stamp paper to the settlement including my mother as settlement while she is still alive.

I also have an affidavit to the effect from my sisters as accepting the family settlement.

I have been paying as per agreement since 7 years, just wanted to ensure that no issues arise either later on after completion of payment for 10 yrs or when my mother passes away.

Do I need to do anything else for avoiding any future disputes? Is registration required of the agreement ? any charges I would have to pay for registration (as % of settlement)

Learning

1 Replies

Advocate Vishnu (Advocate)     20 January 2013

Pl get a relinquishment deed signed by all your sisters and it must be compulsarily registered. The stamp duty charges vary from state to state. Your family settlement hold good in a court of law , but since it is an immovable asset, it must be compulsarily registered.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register