LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More


Family debt problem for the last 13 years please help me

Respected Madam / Sir,

My name is sandeep and I'm from Tamilnadu.

I have a difficult and tough situation which requires help from experts like you. 

My father and mother currently separated and I have one younger brother. My younger brother is addicted alcoholic drinking. My father retired from his duty and now he is working with one part-time job with salary of Rs 3,000.

We have a small land which is (1200 sq.feet) .The problem is my mother borrowed more than 10 Laksh rupees from different local  peoples and the total amount is now 14 lakhs rupees including interest. My mother not listening any one and still she is borrowing money from peoples by telling lie (for my hospitalzitaiton/ brother health problem/...etc). My mother not signed any bond or any legal document for the borrowed money till date.

I'm trying to clear the debt money by selling that 1200 sq. feet land which is currently in my mother name. This property my mother got it from his father by court order.

Now I have some legal question to answer to sort out this problem.

1. By selling this land at least I need 3 to 6 months time and I need my mother co-operation. Mean while if any one filled civil case against my mother will it affect me, my father and brother. If so what action i have to follow?

2. My father is having some land (1 acre) which he got from his father (my grandpa). If any one filled legal case / went to police case will it affect my father property?

3. Finally most important as an elder kid I'm trying my level best to convenience my mother to understand the debt problem but she is not doing. Due to this family life also get suffered. Currently I'm working as a Software Engineer in Top MNC in Chennai. What will be the correct option I can choose? 

Requesting Madam / Sir, Please help me Your best suggestion will help to save one family.

Thanks a lot

Yours Truly,







 5 Replies

Azhagananth (Lawyer)     12 June 2017

If this statement is true " My mother not signed any bond or any legal document for the borrowed money till date" ..1. No civil suit can be filed without any document\proof.. 2. Same as above .. 3. Give medical counselling for your mother...

Unless there is proper proof for debt against your mother, nothing can be done..

But don't take it as advantage.. Truth will never die...

Ms.Usha Kapoor (CEO)     13 June 2017

You sell your land of 1200 Sq.  feet to satisfy your mother's debts after convincing her.Actively seek her cooperation.your problems will be solved.

Read more at:

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     13 June 2017

Neither you nor your father can be held responsible for your mother's debts. Your mother's creditors can have a charge on the 1200 sq. ft. land. At the most you help your mother to dispose of the land and settle her debts in part or in full. Beyond that do not assume any responsibility for her debts. If necessary you give a public notice cautioning all her prospective creditors. 

P. Venu (Advocate)     13 June 2017

Yes, do not allow the monkey on another's shouder (may be, your mother's) to jump on to your shoulder.

Respected Azhagananth / MPS RAMANI / P. Venu Sirs and Usha Kapoor Madam,

Thanks all of you for your valuable suggestion and advice.

This helps me clear my doubt and thanks a lot for your help.

Thanks again,

Yours Truly,

Sandeep Kumar


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query