LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Namrata K Mirchandani (BB)     31 March 2018

Facing issues in a cooperative housing society

Respected Readers, I stay in Navi Mumbai. Broadly 2 issues that I'm facing are: 1) Basic hygiene and cleanliness is not maintained in the society in-spite it's a big 3 wings, each 27 storey complex where we have appointed housekeeping staff. Complained several times to the Secretary as well but, secretary is least interested. Moreover people keep throwing dirty water and garbage from gallery. We pay heavy maintenance charges every month but no cleanliness. What can be done? 2) Society has been demanding heavy repair charges of Rs. 45000/- per flat for repair of parking, lobby, gym, swimming pool areas. I do not use gym and swimming pool, am I still supposed to pay charges for that?? Please guide.

Learning

6 Replies

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     01 April 2018

Basic hygiene and cleanliness: The only solution is to have a Managing Committee who work efficiently and devotedly. Paying for swimming pool and gym: You joined a Society, which already had these facilities. You joined as a member on the condition  that you will pay for these facilities, whether you use them or not. Now you cannot back out.

Suri.Sravan Kumar (senior)     01 April 2018

I agree with Dr MPS Ramani

Namrata K Mirchandani (BB)     04 April 2018

Thanks for the reply. I have complained several times verbal and written to the managing committee including Chairman & Secretary but they are least interested in taking any action. Regarding swimming pool and gym, maintaining them is already included in monthly maintenance charges which I pay. My question was specific to heavy repair charges.. If I'm not using it at all am I still bound to pay for repairs? Regards,

Yusuf Rampurawala   05 April 2018

Hi you will have to approach the district deputy registrar of co-operative societies for redressal of your grievances with a request to give necessary directions to the managing committee to look into your issues and file a report accordingly. As regards the repair charges, you will have to bear the same. It doesn't matter that you don't use swimming pool or gym. A member cannot pick and choose the services which he wishes not to avail and thus refuse paying charges for the same. For example, take security guard. Can a member say that since I have my own watchman standing outside my flat, I do not need services of society watchman and therefore I won't pay for that in monthly maintenance. The fact that you are not using the gym and swimming pool is your own choice. The services are still open to you and you can very well use them as a society member. Yes you can always question the society about the quantum of the repair charges and request it to justify the same.

Namrata K Mirchandani (BB)     06 April 2018

Thank you Mr. Yusuf for your advice.

Namrata K Mirchandani (BB)     06 April 2018

Thank you Mr. Yusuf for your advice.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register