LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anushka Jaiswal   16 April 2020

extension of IPC

why does IPC not extends to J&K even after the scrapment of Article 370?

Learning

3 Replies

Archit Uniyal   16 April 2020

Hi,

Regarding the application of IPC in Jammu and Kashmir,

Earlier the Ranbir Penal Code or RPC was the main criminal code applicable in the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir. The Indian Penal Code which was applicable elsewhere in India was not applicable in J&K because of Article 370 of the Constitution of India. But after Article 370 of the Indian Constitution was scrapped The Ranbir Penal Code has been dissolved. Henceforth, the Indian Penal Code has come into force in the region. From the Indian Penal Code (IPC) to Income Tax Act to Representation of the People Act, the 37 central laws passed by the Union cabinet for Jammu and Kashmir are applicable retrospectively from October 31, 2019.

Hope this solves your query.

Regards,

Archit

Anushka Jaiswal   19 April 2020

thank you for replying . I got my answer.. But I have one more query - what is Ranbir penal code and how it got its name ?

Archit Uniyal   27 April 2020

Hi,

The Ranbir Penal Code came into force in 1932. The code was introduced during the reign of the Dogra dynasty with Ranbir Singh as its ruler and hence named after him. It was made on the lines of the Indian Penal Code prepared by Thomas Babington Macaulay

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register