Criminal Trident Pack: IPC, CrPC and IEA by Sr. Adv. G.S Shukla and Adv. Raghav Arora
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ramesh   16 June 2022

Ews certificate reg.

I belong to OBC category and recently married to a OC women. My family income is less than 8 lak, my family has less than 5 acrs land and we don't have any flats. My wife doesn't change her surname and didn't updated her Aadhar details.

Can i apply EWS certificate from my family side as she is dependent on me.if her family doesn't fall under EWS?


 1 Replies

Sravika Reddy Kohir   17 June 2022

Hello Ramesh, I acknowledge your question. As per the precedents that have been decided by various High Courts and Supreme Court and also in the case Smt. Savithri @ Savithramma vs State of Karnataka it was held that caste of a woman does not change with marriage, similarly you wife shall also deem to be under General category itself. The eligibility criteria for getting EWS Certificate are that the applicant must belong to General Category, the income shall not exceed 8 Lakhs and they should not have land exceeding 5 acres, they shouldn’t possess flat with an area of 1000sq.ft or more.

Coming to your question, yes, the wife shall be validly eligible to apply for such a certificate because she is dependent and also belongs to your family rather than her parents’ family.

I hope I have answered your question.

Have a good day.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query