LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

MURUGESH KASIVEL (Corporate Lawyer)     26 April 2020

Epidemic diseases (amendment) ordinance, 2020

Is Epidemic Diseases (Amendment) Ordinance, 2020 is need of the hour in India?

Learning

4 Replies

Shreya Saxena (Student at Faculty of Law Banasthali Vidyapith Rajasthan.)     26 April 2020

Yes, there can be a positive answer int his regard. However, can you clarify your issue a bit more. ?

Archit Uniyal   26 April 2020

Hi,

The houses of parliament on the 2nd of April approved the promulgation of an ordinance to amend the Epidemic Diseases Act, 1897, which made acts of violence against medical staff a cognizable and non-bailable offence.

The punishment for such attacks will be 3 months to 5 years plus fine ranging from ₹50,000 to ₹2 lakh. In cases of grievous injuries, the punishment will be 6 months to 7 years and with fine ranging from ₹1 lakh to ₹5 lakh. The ordinance also provides compensation for injury to healthcare personnel or for damage or loss to property.

Violence against doctors behoves ill for society. Due to the increasing number of cases every year, there was an urgent need to make healthcare facilities a safe environment. That is why this amendment to the Epidemic Diseases Act, 1897 was the need of the hour as now acts of violence against the health workers from doctors to the staff have now been criminalized and any person committing such act will be punished severely under law. there can be no compromise on the safety of healthcare professionals and therefore the ordinance will protect the entire healthcare fraternity, including doctors, nurses, and Asha workers.

Hope this solves your query.

Regards
Archit

upsc race   27 April 2020

Dear Archit you are very knowledgeable person.

Archit Uniyal   03 May 2020

Originally posted by : bon bon
I have read your article, it's very informative and helpful for me. I admire the valuable information you provide in your articles. Thank you for posting it.

Thanx for the appreciation "bon bon"

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register