25% OFF on all LCI Courses. Offer valid till 5th Oct. Use Code: DUS25
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Harish Engineer (Petrolium Engineer)     25 February 2014

Engagement broke

Dear Sirs,

I am first time writing any question here, I would straight away ask my query.

I am well earning educated person with very nice family background and earning well.

I got engaged to a girl who use to live in my city only, since the refrence was given by one of my fathers friend so we didnt enquired much about girl or girls family. Girl is working as teacher in govt. scool as drawing teacher, and her father is property dealer

after ring ceremony, we have noticed that girl have problem in one of the eye which was not noticed earlier, then my parents along with her parents took her to a hospital ( good eye specilist) where doctor confirmed that the girl have swelling in brain and have some mark in retina, and 20 % vision in one eye is left and doctor also mentioned that after one or two operation it can be cured however they are not sure. Doctor also informed since it is major issue hence it is alomst impossible that her parents are not aware of this fact.

After that girls father deny for any operation and keep on moving things that operation later and all .

And saying that fix marriage date within a month. 

Then my parents clearly said that we have to break this engagement, later on since the girls fater is property dealer hence have some linke so keep on creating pressure and ask for money for compenciation which was alomst 5 times which he would had spent. any how we paid. But he took in cash only didnt accept any check or online transfer.

Now question is wether he can file any Dowry case against us. Photo of my and girl ( only one ) is availabl with them, we are afraid since we are looking for another girl to marry and he got links in order to create fake witnesses. May create problem since we all live in same city.

Your expert pinion will be highly appreciated.





 6 Replies

laxmi kant joshi (instructor)     25 February 2014

make negotiation with him and pay him the money and get it in writing that he has received such amount towards expences in ring ceremony which is broke out becauseof major problem in the eye of the girl which was not declare earlier by the father of the girl . take the signature of the girls father and witnesses it by at least with two witness with there sign and address .
1 Like

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/ nadeemqureshi1@gmail.com)     26 February 2014

no need to worry, when you pay the amount then there is no apprehension.
1 Like

Nagalakshmi S.-9035853161 (Advocate)     26 February 2014

Since marriage didn't happened, the question of filing dowry harassment does't arise at all. Only wife or her relatives can file the dowry harassment case. in your case she is not your wife. 

1 Like

nikhil singh (Advocate)     26 February 2014

See those who want to create problem they will. Yes they can file Dowry complaint. You are not married so its better to settle the dispute amicable. Start collecting evidence for the worst sistution. Keep all the medical papers test reports in your possession. For further assitance you may contact 

Nikhil Singh
Associate, Law Consults
'LawCon House', D-61, East of Kailash
New Delhi - 110065

Harish Engineer (Petrolium Engineer)     26 February 2014

Dear Kant Sir,

Thank you for your reply, however we have paid the mount even though it was seems like very high compariativly.

But we have not taken any written conformation, since we are expecting this to finish utter thing ASAp.

though around 10 -15 persons were present there. 

All ring ceremony pics are with us, no video was recorded only phoptographs, since it was arranged at short notice of time.

My worry is that they may raise any thing at time of my wedding with other girl, coz they are in my city only.



laxmi kant joshi (instructor)     27 February 2014

Harish don't worry they cannot take any legal action against you , it is good that you had paid them in front of your relatives , now calm and relax don't discuss more this matter to others , be confident and get engaged when you found suitable match for you .

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query