25% OFF on all LCI Courses. Offer valid till 5th Oct. Use Code: DUS25
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

smentha (PM)     28 September 2011

Engagement beak off


 I am in big problem and I don't find any way out just feel injustice towards my family.I have been engaged from last 5 months me and my fiance are talking to each other and everything was going fine and marriage date as fixed and its there in a month .He has sent me gifts and we exchanged talks rings which is the commitment and Now these people have asked for settlement and arrangements to us which we have declined .His family gave example of car and all and said we want couple should settle in US so give everything to the couple  because this guy is working in US and i was suppose to go to US after marriage.when my family heard this they have declined and said whatever we are giving ..it belongs to our daughter we had no plans for dowry as settlement and car...after that this guy stopped talking to me and his family didn't respond to my family calls.. and after 9 days ... his family memers said to my family  that we will not go wid this proposal and this guy also picked my call and said we were not getting along together so lets nt go for this.I asked him several reasons to break up the marriage where we were not good.he had no ans.I have put down my papers.my family did the hotel booking twice and i have done all the marriage shopping and this guy know everything .. still his family did this wid this ...Please suggest me what to do because I cant take this injustice wid me.What can i do now?


 12 Replies

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/ nadeemqureshi1@gmail.com)     28 September 2011

Dear samantha

Dont worry, be bold and brave i can understand your feeling now you can file a compalint against all his family mamber including you in your nearest police station and one copy of this complaint send to SSP/Commissioner of police  with all the facts and circumastances. if the police not registered the FIR against them then you have right to file a Criminal Compalint against them u/s 156(3) Crpc to magistrate and you can also file a case of Demanding Dowery in D.P.act. feel free to call me on 9953809956 or write me on nadeemqureshi1@gmail.com

2 Like


Mr. Qureshi,


Complaint for what? Under what rule ? There is no harasshment here for Dowry - so Dowry laws do not reply.




If boy does not want to marry you, unfortunately you can do nothing - If you choose to file complaint - you will get nothing more than filling the pocket of advocate.


Deciding not to marry somebody is not INJUSTICE

1 Like


dont worry.They are greedy.You are lucky that they exposed themselves before marriage.You are safe.

1 Like

Anumita Sarkar (Tax Advisor/Litigator)     28 September 2011

Dear Mr. Qureshi,

can you explain that how the dowry laws are applicable in this situation?

Thanks !


Sec(4)..-Penalty-for-demanding-dowry under Dowry Prohibition Act,1961

which states that 

4. Penalty for demanding dowry. If any person, after the commencement of

this Act, demands, directly or indirectly, from the parents or guardian of a bride

or bridegroom, as the case may be, any dowry, he shall be punishable with

imprisonment which may extend to six months, or with fine which may extend to

five thousand rupees, or with both: Provided that no court shall take cognizance

of any offence under this section except with the previous sanction of the State

Government or of such officer as the State Government may, by general or special

order, specify in this behalf.


This is a genuine dowry case. They have played with your emotions and reputation of your family.


2 Like

smentha (PM)     28 September 2011

Well Thanks for the reply!

Answer to your questions..saying no for marriage is not injustice  but saying no when someone demands and doesnt get wat they want is injustice .for 5 months guy ws playing ith gal emotions and allow her ot leave her job and always thr to talk n listen and exchanging gifts and talking over phone and talking about future and then suddenly when settlement things doesnt wrk out guy stop calling and stop picking all calls and his family doesnt respond and keep delaying and after few days they say call off the marriage...

This is the where the humilation and harassement happened to the gal family.


if guy didnt like the gal and there was some problem betweent hem then why guy nvr said anythng before hy he sent gift to gal 9 days before he stopped talking to gal .why didnt he tell in between ...5 months is preety enough time to tell te things that it is not working out.


this is INJUSTICE with the gal's family gals emotions and everything cos guy is in US ..he shud nt bothered he doesnt have to face things ...This is complete INJUSTICE.





Hire Utpala, she boasts of legal degree, but with one condition - she should refund her fees in case you do not get anything back

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     28 September 2011



I believe Utpala has a valid point here.




Shonee Kapoor


Adv. Chandrasekhar (Advocate)     28 September 2011

I agree with Mr. Nadeem.  In addition to the criminal complaint, suit for damages for breach of marriage also lie against the boy. 


Dear Smentha,

Go further, If you have any proof in support of your complaint.

You go for DP4 & 156(3) by private complaint to SP of your area. But first made a complaint in SHO of your area. If nothing works approach to concern court.

Now a days these things are common, But i only want to say you are very lucky that all this non-sense happened before the marriage day.

Best of luck.



Abhinatre Gupt.

Originally posted by :Onlytruth


Hire Utpala, she boasts of legal degree, but with one condition - she should refund her fees in case you do not get anything back



oooooooofffffff...onlytruth do you always  in search og FUKOT KI MONEY??


Anumita Sarkar (Tax Advisor/Litigator)     29 September 2011

Thanks utpala  for explaining the provision.



Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query