LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Bhaskar for SOCIAL JUSTICE (Legal & Social Activist)     30 December 2010

Earning women cant get alimony for unjust enrichment: cou

Earning women can’t get alimony for ‘unjust enrichment’: court • Utkarsh Anand Tags : delhi, alimony Posted: Fri Feb 20 2009, 00:24 hrs New Delhi: In tune with the modern societal shift where women are increasingly becoming financially independent, a city court has held that alimony cannot be demanded for “unjust enrichment”. It further observed that an estranged wife can seek alimony only if she failed to maintain similar standard of living after separation. Dismissing the maintenance petition of a woman employed with a government school, Additional District Judge Rajender Kumar Shastri said the legal provisions are aimed at providing financial assistance to the indigent spouse, certainly not for enjoyment of an opulent lifestyle. The petitioner had sought alimony of Rs 1 lakh per month from her estranged husband. Married in April 2008, the couple had severe marital discords after which the man approached the court for divorce. While the woman has a monthly salary of Rs 19,000, the man is employed as a manager with a Noida-based power company with a monthly pay cheque of Rs 62,000. According to the petition filed by the woman, she was entitled to the same lifestyle she had before separation and that the court should allow her the maintenance money after comparing her income with that of her husband. However, the plea failed to cut ice with the court. Taking into account the social changes where women are no longer dependent on their husbands or other family members, the court observed that before passing an order for maintenance, it was imperative to see that she had no independent sources of income, which could adequately maintain her and bear the cost of litigation. “The provisions cannot be resorted by one of the litigating parties to enrich himself or herself at the cost of the other when they could not live together due to uncertain reasons. A husband or wife can claim maintenance under the said provision of the Hindu Marriage Act only if there is no independent income sufficient for support and necessary expenses of the proceedings,” noted ADJ Shastri. The court also said the Act obligated a judge to determine the amount of maintenance after taking into consideration the individual incomes of the couple, but it did not mean that their incomes had to be equally divided between the two by applying an “electronic scale.” Multi Page Format

Learning

25 Replies

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     30 December 2010

wot abt men who earn lakhs monthly,yet expect a huge dowry?

higher the qualification and income,higher is their market price???

wot is the logic behind money extortion,dun by these able bodied men and their parents,who act as pimps?

can sum1 explain?

Ajoy (Manager)     30 December 2010

So what's your suggestion Ms Roshni ?

Should judiciary  endorse extortion in name of alimony, as well as the extortion in name of Dowry ?

Will that be fair enough , as per your opinion?

1 Like

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     30 December 2010

why did u divert from the points i raised?did u not have any answer to the points i raised,that u diverted the topic to  "extortion"?

first answer the points i raised...if u have any answer...else u say that u have nth. to say in favor of real extortionists in indian society,ie,men and their "demi gods"(parents).

Ghajini (SSE)     30 December 2010

*YAWN* 

Avnish Kaur (Consultant)     30 December 2010

real problem is dowry may be demanded in 5% of cases but it is alleged in 100% divorce cases for extortion, but i will still refrain from using pros***** word.

if ladies have so much problem with dowry seekers why do they marry them? why not marry the rest 5%.

some ladies parents just force boys to accept costly gifts, i recently saw  a case in DELHI  where a simple guy  owning ALTO was forcefully given corolla in a love cum arranged marriage  by girls parents to bring him among equals, 6 months later wen marriage started to crumble the same parents alleged dowry demand of corolla by guy.

now whu is culprit/pim* / pros**** in this case.

use of this word reflets a persons upbringing and mentality.

correction

real problem is dowry may be demanded in 5% of cases but it is alleged in 100% divorce cases for extortion, but i will still refrain from using pros***** word.

if ladies have so much problem with dowry seekers why do they marry them? why not marry the rest 95%.

some ladies parents just force boys to accept costly gifts, i recently saw  a case in DELHI  where a simple guy  owning ALTO was forcefully given corolla in a love cum arranged marriage  by girls parents to bring him among equals, 6 months later wen marriage started to crumble the same parents alleged dowry demand of corolla by guy.

now whu is culprit/pim* / pros**** in this case.

use of this word reflects a persons upbringing and mentality.

(Guest)

WHY OTHER PRUDENT MEMBERS ARE SILENT HERE?

(Guest)

I am very much confused with AVINASH and  AVNISH KAUR WHEN I READ THIS COMMENT....

MADAM YAHAN KOI TEAM GAME nahi ho raha , please dont write provocative and derogatory views. go thru my posts i have asked compulsory hanging of dowry death husbands on public place. please try to develop an independent and unbiased view. dont let even ur personal experience bias ur opinion,only then u can rise.

Am I wrong??

MADAM being pseudofeminist doesnot mean u stop using ur brains 100%. cant u understand avnish kaur means a sikh lady while avinash means a male. u are utpala kaur , seems lika a lady name.

(Guest)

that's why I am confused.

Name is different

but words seems same.

I am sorry if I am wrong but my human brain is telling that

(Guest)

When only criteria for some people is to toe a line .. no matter what is the case and what prudence demands..

One sees the kind of behaviour  what feminists has shown above.

The  lady first writes  male pimps... because now a few males are opposing demand of maitenance.

In the same thread  she requests 'Can some1 explain'

One person responds and she is not satisfied ... another member responds... and she mock him and says he is without morale.

So lady( you should be thankful that  I am still addressing you by lady), mend your ways, if you have agression problem go to rehab, if you have understanding problem get some logic class,

We are tired of  your morale policing here ... having nothing else to say than copy  pasting links to  articles which helps you think men are monsters .. the thought your masters have taught you to toe.  

Ajoy (Manager)     30 December 2010

Hi Guys, 

The Forum has become a total fun.

Thanks to our Rashmi Baby. Cool Time pass.

Gaurav (TL)     30 December 2010

Hi Avnish,

Same thing happened to me. Even after me saying no many a times my inlaws gave me a car, saying that ki "Hum Apni Khushi se De rahe hain" , now marriage turned sour they started saying tht I demanded the car.

Ashu Sharma (Manager)     30 December 2010

I totally agreed with Avnish Kaur, i am the case who didn't ask for the Dowry but my in-laws force me to take by saying that they have some reputation in the society and by saying NO to them they gave me and now i am in a hot soup like a chicken...

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register