LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sanjeev Vable (Sr.Manager-Legal & Admin)     30 April 2014

Drunk & drive

U/s.185 of Motor Vehicle Act, the police charged to my friend under influance of alchohol and there is no blood test (no Lab test or no breath analyser)and only observation Report of Govt.Medical Practioner. In this situation is Court will reject/dismiss the matter on the ground that there is no blood test evidence before court? since section 185 of MVA clearly laid down that Whoever, while driving, or attempting to drive, a motor vehicle,- has, in his blood, alcohol exceeding 30 mg. per 100 ml. of blood detected in a test by a breath analyser. Please give your opinion & oblige.

Learning

6 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     02 May 2014

In practice, courts do not pay much heed to such question raised by you, the fines for the said offences are collected in a routine manner, if you talk law with the police officer, he will try to trap you in some other false case, so it is better to avoid arguing on such petty issues.  As per rules, a drunk person who is just standing near his vehicle should not be booked for the said offences, but for the purpose of statistics and other aspects, the police book them in a routine manner, this is in practice.

Sanjeev Vable (Sr.Manager-Legal & Admin)     03 May 2014

Hon'ble Adv. Thiru. T. Kalaiselvan,

Sir...I do agree with you and certainly I will ask to my friend do as directed by you.

I obliged.

Thanks & regards.

Sanjeev

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     03 May 2014

You are welcome Mr. Vable.

Lawyer SALEEMA (Advocate Madras High Court & Legal Consultant Chennai Law in Law Firm. +91-9698884779)     03 May 2014

If a person is to be prosecuted for an offence under section 185(a), there should be a positive case that at the time when he was driving the motor vehicle he had in his blood, alcohol exceeding 30 mg per 100 ml. of blood. If percentage of alcohol, if any in the blood was not examined, and if there is no material to show that the person was having in his blood alcohol exceeding 30 mg.per 100 ml., there is no question of prosecution for the offence under section 185(a) of Motor Vehicles Act. such a situation, no doubt, your friend can approach the High Court to quash the prosecution.

Sanjeev Vable (Sr.Manager-Legal & Admin)     04 May 2014

Hob'ble Adv.Saleema Kabeer Ji, Thank you for your valuable guidence. Certainly my friend got relief by your as well as Hon'ble Adv. Thiru.T.Kalaiselvan's advise. It will be great pleasure for me to meet you & Adv. Thiru. T.Kalaiselvan, when I will be at Chennai. With Best Regards. Sanjeev

Lawyer SALEEMA (Advocate Madras High Court & Legal Consultant Chennai Law in Law Firm. +91-9698884779)     04 May 2014

Welcome.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register