LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Avinash Kumar (Engineer)     17 July 2014

Dpendent criteria



One of my cousin is mentally retarded , I am bearing her medical expenses , Is there any way to claim the bills under Section 80DDB, Can I show her dependent on me , What is the process , Please suggest


 2 Replies

sreekanth (Assistant Manager- Taxation)     01 August 2014

Dear Avinash ,

For individual only brothers /sisters are covered not cousin brothers.. 

Hence you cannot claim

Refer the definition of depedant given on



Avinash Kumar (Engineer)     01 August 2014

Thanks Sreekanth

Few more querries first , is medical bills come under the section 80DD and what is the limit In some forums I have read that even though the expense is not  Rs100000 , it can be claimed, Please guide

URL Referred:

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register