LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

babloo27071985 (employee)     01 June 2015

Dowry receipt on stamp paper

sir, before marriage my inlaws has offered me X amount of cash and ornaments (without any kind of demands) and has taken my signature on stamp paper and more over they have given me a similar stamp paper as they hasve given me X amount.

after marriage i have returned the same amount to the wife and moreover my wife has given me in her OWN HAND WRITING that the amount and the ornaments which was given was a gift from her parents and she also witten that '''NO DOWRY WAS EXCHANGED IN MY MARRIAGE'' and she had signed on it.

now does signing a doc. makes me to come under the purview of dowry law if yes does my inlaws also comes under dowry law

and what about the stamp paper given by wife in her own hand writing? 

now my inlaws has lodged a private compliant 498a 3/4 dp (fir not yet registered) till date what if the fir is registered can i too file a fir on my inlaws ?

i read somewhere that ''AGREEMENTS FOR TAKING AND GIVING DOWRY IS VOID'"' what does it mean does the above agreements not valid?

plz advise me

Learning

8 Replies

Manpreet (Manager)     01 June 2015

@Queriest,

What a understanding. For offering streedhan and returning you have docs. good.

As per DP act giving or taking  dowry is crime. But if something is given without any demand that is ok (Streedhan) . You can show the papers at the time of investigation (Hope the papers have witness signature).

If they given you something and have taken back also after that they are putting DP and 498a, it means they want to extort money from you. First try to solve amicably donot offer any amount to them. if it ios not sorted  then

1.  Meet a able criminal lawyer, File a case of extortion on the gang

(If your FIL is govt employee , then inform his deptt also about your complain)

Goodluk

TGK REDDI (No designation)     01 June 2015

The first paper can harm you.     The third one can't save you.      You may get some relief because the second and the fourth ones can harm your opponents also.

Advocate Lovkesh Gupta (Divorce Court marriage criminal civil lawyer in jalandhar)     02 June 2015

send me the copy of agreement and copy of complaint then i can guide u

babloo27071985 (employee)     02 June 2015

Thank u manpreet, tgk, and gupta sir Gupta sir Plz provide me your mail I'd sir as this site does not provide any attachments. Sir I don't have my in laws complaint copy but I do have copy of the p.s contesting my AB

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     04 June 2015

Not able to agree or disagree with any of above views.

You have not stated what are contents of compliant.

mere fact that dowry was not exchanged at the time of marriage doe snot mean that in future there shall be no demand.

1 Like

babloo27071985 (employee)     04 June 2015

S udhar sir thank u, sir private complaint content was that in laws are g harassing physically and mentally for additional dowry Sir I need to know that does till date any dowry case is applicable on me from the status of my above posts for signing.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     04 June 2015

any family member who is named in the complaint carry the risk.

you are stil hiding facts.  who are the accused.

babloo27071985 (employee)     04 June 2015

No sir I'm not hiding anything if I hide I may not get the correct advice from the experts as I stated in my above post I have signed a stamp paper with force on which it was returned that I have took dowry but I returned the same amount to my wife very soon after marriage and even she had given me a written doc. That the amount given by her parents 6 was gift to both of us me and my wife and no dowry was exchanged in our marriage sir If u permit me and send me your email I'd I shall be greatly help full by your advise after checking the doc.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register