Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ashwani   11 October 2015

Dowry case before marriage

Hi

I was engaged in July in a cordial and peaceful manner and we were happy, However due to some reason unknown to us, a message was received from the bride on my mobile phone the next morning (not even 12 hours completed of my engagement) alleging the gifts brought by my family(clothes, chappals cosmetics (no mention of Gold))  for the bride were of very substandard and poor quality. Hence, these goods have been kept safe in a bundle to be returned to you. Subsequently the father of bride also conveyed the same message and told it will be diffult to proceed further.As a result we thought of calling off the marriage plan which we were planning for mid january (no dates finalized)

Now the bride's parents insiting for the marriage and feeling sorry for that behaviour, but now we are feeling scared that they created a scene on such a small issue, and might create a big problem after marriage on any false issue. 

After our refusal, now they are threating us to pay off all the expenses of the engagement + the gifts which we got from them to which we agreed however, they are refusing to return the gifts which we gifted to the bride the day of engagement. They have said, this in the only way of settlement else we will file a case for dowry. 

Please advise what action to be taken.

Thanks

Ashwini

Learning

2 Replies

sandykrish (Interested in Family LAW)     11 October 2015

Remember god has shown the path before the marriage, it is not about sub standard of gifts it is their sub standard of their minds which is making them to speak about this. No dowry case can be lodged before marriage. So have a uniformed decision and sort this amicably tell them you and your family is not the right fit and resolve this issue Ina cordiall manner. Any sign of marriage with that girl will lead to many issues that you may not foresee.

Advocate Ravinder (Advocate/Attorney)     12 October 2015

As well advised by Sandykrish, it is better to drop the idea of marriage.  Patch up works will not hold good in matrimonial matters.  Even a single mistake can portray what the real intention about you in their minds.

But I slightly disagree with Sandykrish.  A dowry case can be filed.  They will allege that you have demanded dowry and since the bride side had not paid the dowry you have refusing to marry the bride.  Additionally they will also file a cheating case under sec. 420 of IPC. 

In view of the above, give a legal notice to them narrating all the story right from the beginning to the end and ask them to drop the idea of marrying and ask them to return all the articles, presentations given at the time of engagement.  This legal notice will be used as a shield when the bride side files any cases i.e. cheating and dowry etc.  If you want I will draft and send legal notice on your behalf. Contact me to my email.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register