LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

aditi   16 April 2021


what legal action can be taken against the would-be in-laws if they demand dowry before the marriage?


 4 Replies

Hemant Agarwal ( Mumbai : 9820174108)     16 April 2021

1. File Police FIR.

Keep Smiling .... Hemant Agarwal 

Sanjay Narayandas (Advocate)     16 April 2021

Under Section 3&4 of the Dowry Prohibition Act, file a case against them in your nearest police station.

sneha jaiswal   16 April 2021

Hello, Greetings of the day!

If someone is demanding for dowry either directly or indirectly and asking dowry  even before the marriage is a crime under Dowry Prohibition Act, 1961 as per Section 3 and 4 of the Dowry Prohibition Act, 1961 can file a case against the parties who asked for dowry in the nearest police station or approach the magistrate under section 12 of The Protection of Women from the Domestic Violence act, 2005. The magistrate will dispose off the matter within the period of 60 days of the first hearing and also appoint the protection officer. Also, you can approach NGOs, human rights activists for the same if need to avoid litigation.


Hope it helps


Sneha Jaiswal


1 Like

Kunal Bakshi   18 April 2021

If any person demands, directly or indirectly, from the parents or other relatives or guardian of a bride or bridegroom, as the case may be, any dowry, he shall be punishable with imprisonment for a term which shall not be less than six months, but which may extend to two years and with fine which may extend to ten thousand rupees.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register