Civil Procedure Code (CPC)

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Puja Shah   24 May 2021

Door position

The door of my house is facing towards south I want to change the same towards east. Can I do the same. Can anyone create an objection for the same ? Is there any legal act for it ?

 9 Replies

SIVARAMAPRASAD KAPPAGANTU (Retired Manager)     25 May 2021

What is your legal problem, Sir? 


You might have constructed the house with the plan as approved by the local Municipal authorities. Any modification in the construction needs approval/permission from the Municipal authorities.  Will the change in the door in any way impact your neighbours?


Sankaranarayanan (Advocate)     25 May 2021

If it is apartment system then without the association's permission you can not change. if it your own individual house then your changes not making any disturbance to any one or neighbor then you can alter

Puja Shah   25 May 2021

No it's a chawl room and there is no neighbour's door in front of our eastward wall. But still some may take the objection. That is the reason I want to know is there any law for it.

SIVARAMAPRASAD KAPPAGANTU (Retired Manager)     25 May 2021

Is it a structure constructed with the permission/plan approval by Municipal authorities? If so, need to take their permission. 

Sankaranarayanan (Advocate)     25 May 2021

who may object it? give clarity

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     25 May 2021

Inform the modification to other residents by Registered Notice calling for the objections of other notice within 15 days and if there is no objection in writing, you may seek information from your Corporation seeking information under RTI as follows:

Information solicited:

1.Please provide me the copy of rules and regulations/order/circular/notification that states the procedure for obtaining due permission/approval if owner of a chawl wants to change the main door from South to East.

Depending on both the responses you can proceed on your plan if there is no objection in writing .

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     25 May 2021

Changing the entrance door to your house property is an act of structural change.

In fact the door number on one side would be a different pertaining to that street or road, whereas now re fixing your entry to your house on some other road would change your address itself.

You may have to obtain permission from the local civic body for this without which it may be considered as an illegal act. 

Dr J C Vashista (Lawyer)     25 May 2021

Seek permission of appropriate authority / person and change it.

There is no legal issue involved in your query for consideration and obligation of experts.

Do not post such problems so that needy litigants may get benefit of the expertise attained by lawyers.

LCI Admin to kindly filter and delete such queries.

P. Venu (Advocate)     25 May 2021

Changing the position of the door need not be an issue unless it cause inconvenience to others. As regards to statutory permission, it could be sought ex-post facto, as well.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query