LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Mona (executive)     29 August 2012

Domicile certificate after marriage

I want to know whether i can get a domicile certificate of my husband's state after one & half year of marriage. What is the procedure and list of documents required? And how much time it will take? I already have domicile certificate of my parental state. And as per the law a person can have a domicile certificate of one state only. What can I do to convert my domicile. Please help me on this matter...... Also want to know that gazetted document for surname change is a compulsory requirement to get husband' state domicile??


 7 Replies

Anish Thakur 7018812737 (advocate)     29 August 2012

respected querist,

first of all you have to delete your name from the parivar nakal register (family registration ) in panchayat /municipal, which ever is in your parental home residence and after that you have to make your name enter in the family registration in your matrimonial city in the office of panchayat/municipal whichever is there.after entering your name in the family register get parivar nakal certificate from the same office as your name netered there as wife of your husband name ,then go and apply for domicile certificate of that state ,it can take few hours for the issue of domicile certificate or can take 1 or 2 days depending upon the burden of the office applied in.

Mona (executive)     31 August 2012

Thank you sir for solving my query........


You don't need to change surname after marriage. Its all depend on you if you wish than change otherwise not.
You have to surrender your parental domicile and apply at your Husband living city. Produce your all requirement document with your marriage certificate or marriage card also attach your Husband domicile and another documents.
Such as
Water ill
Electricity bill
rasan card
voter id card copy
education copies
marriage card or certificate
NOC of your domicile

Within 15 to 30 days your domicile certificate will issue by Tehsildar

thirumaran (teacher)     29 May 2015

can anybody give any govt orders for the above mentioned situation

thanking you


swaresha   04 May 2017


I want to know that wheather i can make domicile certificate for maharashtra after marriage? i want it for education purpose,and all the documents  i have of before marriage.so it can make any difference or create problem while selection process in government jobs?

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     06 May 2017

As stated by Mr. RK Prajapati the domicile certificate of your husband plus your marriage certificate should be sufficient. The domicile requirement for most cases have no legal validity. If the authority who is to receive your application for the purpose for which your domicile is required rejects your application, you have no option but to go to court. Good luck.

Sudha Parmar   22 March 2024

I am born in Gujarat and since birth I am living in Gujarat and I have Gujarat state domicile certificate. I am going to marry a person from Uttar Pradesh. But after marriage I am going to continue my studies and give some govt exams. So after marriage can I use my Gujarat domicile certificate or I have to make Uttar Pradesh domicile certificate from my going -to-be - husband 's documents? 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads