LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Atul (bbb)     31 May 2014

Domestic violence. please suggest

Me and my wife had hindu marraige in India, bombay.

We were staying in USA for 5 years. 

i went to india for some time ( about 20 days). there me and

my wife had fight. She has medical report done.

I am back in USA.  She has filed a DV ( simple application in Mahila Police Station) in India.

Both of us want to resolve the matter but she is asking

me to give written confession in police. 

1) If i accept in writing can it be used against me in USA.

2) If she files an DV FIR in India can I be summoned by the indian law. 




 8 Replies

Adv Archana Deshmukh (Practicing Advocate)     31 May 2014

Not a good idea to give anything in writing.

fighting back (exec)     31 May 2014

If you give anything in writing, it will be a written acceptance of your so called 'missed deeds' and you will be doomed. Don't give anything in writing

fighting back (exec)     31 May 2014

my wife had fight. She has medical report done. Both of us want to resolve the matter but she is asking me to give written confession in police both the actions desired by your wife are a plot to trap you, don't give anything in writing

Laxmi Kant Joshi (Advocate )     31 May 2014

Atul don' t give any thing in writing, it will back fire you in future, resolve your differences amicably with each other in friendly atmosphere

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/     31 May 2014

Dear Atul,

I don't think, that given a confessional letter in writing will be a good idea. This letter can be used against you before the court of law in India as well as in USA. 

If she filed any case/registered any FIR, the Indain law will be applicable and you can be summoned/prosecuted.

Feel free to call

Atul (bbb)     31 May 2014

Thanks all for the responses.

But if i dont give anything in writing the case which is in Mahila Police Station will still

be promoted to DV FIR. Can I be summoned by Indian courts from USA. 

Has anyone handled a case like this. I think 498a isnt recognized by the US law.


Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     02 June 2014

Calling you from USA would be a difficult proposition, but if the girl is bent on filing the case right now, then think for yourself what she would do of the confessional letter, you write.


Better take the matter to counselling/ mediation and get the agreement recorded of some altercation etc.



Shonee Kapoor

If you don't fight for what you want, don't cry for what you LOST.

KISHAN DUTT KALASKAR (Advocate)     17 March 2018

Dear Sir/Madam,

Since your case is complicated case as such I require documents and same may be send to my email/PM (personal mail) for detailed legal advise.


With regards,

Legal Expert

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register