New LIVE Course: Learn the Practical Nuances of IPR Drafting by Adv. Gautam Matani. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Vasant Kumar (Lawyer)     25 September 2016

Domestic violence

can a daughter in law file a complaint against her mother in law and sister in law u/s 12 of the domestic violence act, as the acts bars a complaint against female members.
if she cant then please tell me under which act she can get remedy as her mother in law and sister in law are harassing her like anything. Surprisingly the husband is with his wife and in full support of her filing a complaint against his own mother i.e. (mother in law) and sister i.e. (sister in law).
please help.


 7 Replies

Anup kumar   26 September 2016

May I know which type of touctures she is getting from her in laws ,and how long her marriage is ?

prashant pundhir (Criminal Lawyer)     26 September 2016

As you know the basics of DV Act so it is clear that complaint against female members is not maintainable. Even then the harassment and torture are criminal offence. You can file complaint to the magistrate or also can lodge FIR.

Sachin (N.A)     26 September 2016

Judges have different opinion about wether the female can be respondent in DV act or not. All will depend in which state your case is pending. The judgement of the high court having jurisdiction of your court will have effect on your case.



I sail with the suggestions of Adv Prasanth

rajeev sharma (Advocate Ex senior manager law )     26 September 2016

i do agree with expert  Mr Pundir DV Act does not provide the emedy. File a complaint with police under relevent provisions of IPC .If husband is ready to support he may be named as witness.

stanley (Freedom)     26 September 2016

Its better for the couple to stay seperately when there is a solution . Now couple will not intend to go and stay seperately because there would be a lot of greed for property laugh

Zoheb Khatri (Practicing in Mumbai     27 September 2016

It depends on which state you are in, you can try though.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads