Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Suresh Keshri   18 December 2015

Does gifts & stationary shop require registration in up ?

Dear Experts,

My wife wishes to open a gift & stationary shop at Greater Noida in UP. We have initiated the process few days back. She does not have any plan to keep any permanent employee.

Can you please guide, Is it required to register the shop under shop & establishment act of UP ? If yes, what is the pre-requisites for this registration process ? Also, Can you please explain the consequence of non registration of such a shop ?

Regards,

Suresh

Learning

6 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     18 December 2015

UP Shops &Estbs Act is available on Dept. of Labor website.

It is quite simple elabaorate.

YOu can ask Inspector appointed under the Act.

Shashikant V. Patil (Lawyer)     18 December 2015

Go to the Labour commissioner office of respective area and apply for the same.  The inspector appointed will inspect the same and issue the Shop act certificate to commence your business.

K.S.Srinivas (Advisor (HR))     23 December 2015

Go through the UP Shops & Establishments Act.

Suresh Keshri   23 December 2015

Thank you for your responses.

@Kumar Daob, @K.S.Srinivas Ji: I have read the UP Shops & Establishments Act., this is not very clear. As a layman, It is difficult to get an answer to my queries from this document.

It leaves me to the conclusion: a) Ask Labour commissioner office/Inspector appointed under the Act. OR b) Wait for the actual trouble & pay penalty.

However, my local search reveals that this ACT is not enforced, therefore 99% of the small shops do not register at all. Is this true in your area ?

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     26 December 2015

You are right that the shop may or may not be registered under shops and establishment act. 

The licence to run the business from Municipal authorities and other local authorities may be obtained as is required by law.

Take the help of a local consultant for all such further issues. 

Suresh Keshri   28 December 2015

@T.Kalaiselvan Thanks for your suggestions.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register