Negotiable Instruments: Exhaustive Coverage by Adv Roma Bhagat. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

hema g (S/w Engr)     16 September 2011

Documents for property transfer from a deseased parent


I am from Bangalore.

My mother inherited a house from her mother. Only khata transfer was done and the property tax paid receipt is in my mother's name. She passed away 6 months back. Can you pls clear the following questions:

- Are khata and tax-paid receipt sufficient to get the property transferred to my name and my brother's name?

- Can my mother's brother's children claim for a share in this property?

- What are the other documents/ deeds we would need to claim sole ownership over this property?





 2 Replies


Dear Hema,

Before we proceed to answer your questions please clarify how did your mother inherit the house from her mother and was any share given to your mother's brother's/ children in the properties held by your grand mother at the time of her death?

adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     16 September 2011

How your mother got the property, whether by way gift , will  relinquish deed, or thru., partition?  

If your mother has got the property as her share by way of above said means then her brother's canniot claim any share in that property.  Only legal heirs i.e., you, your father, and your other sisters and brothers have got equal share.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register