LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ram   10 May 2017

Divorce under different law

I am US Citizen, and I got married to an indian citizen in India. The marriage took place in 2005 according to Hindu Marriage Act. Since my job was based in Abu Dhabi, UAE we had moved to Abu Dhabi soon after marriage. Things did not work out and in 2008 the Abu Dhabi court issued a divorce using Islamic Sharia Law. Many friends are saying that the divorce is only valid in Abu Dhabi and in the eyes of the Indian court the Divorce issued by Abu Dhabi Court will not be recognised as legitimate.  Please can anyone here confirm if a marriage started in India under Hindu Marriage Act can be legally ended with Islamic Sharia Law in a different country?

The second question is: I got married again in Dubai, under the Hindu Forign Marriage Act 1969 and Marriage certificate is issued by Consulate of India in Dubai. Many people have now told me that this certificate will not be accepted by the Indian courts since the previous marriage is not legally ended. Hence the certificate will only be legally accepted in Dubai. Some people also told me that if my ex-wife finds out she can legally file a case of "Adultery" in indian courts. Is this true?

Learning

3 Replies

Kappil Cchandna (Expert Bail & Criminal Defence Lawyer at Delhi Supreme Court of India)     10 May 2017

Sir, 

Can you please share the copy of the divorce order from that court at advocate.kapilc@gmail.com .... 

Warm Regards 

Kapil Chandna Advocate 

https://kapilchandnaadvocate.wordpress.com/

A walk alone (-)     10 May 2017

Why are you spoiling your present by thinking about your ex. You have got second marriage better live in present and stop thinking"my ex-wife finds out she can legally file a case of "Adultery" in indian courts. " first of her she may not file, in case she file then let her roam Indian court with zero result. Your divorce may be valid untill she challenge this in Indian court.

Mukesh sharma (job )     11 May 2017

Hello 

you could not end your marriage out side india if your marriage will completed in india and according to indian law than you need to file divorce application here in india than your divorce will accepted other your Abu dhabi court order not accept in india 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register